Trying a Different Kind of Workout: Indoor Bouldering

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Are you looking for a new sport to try out, maybe pick up a new hobby that can challenge you and keep you fit? Then perhaps you should give indoor bouldering a try. Just like bouldering and climbing outdoors, it will let you test your limits, but you’ll be doing it the comfort of indoor artificial walls and routes of a climbing centre. Speaking as someone who had her first go recently, it was definitely more fun than a traditional gym or early morning jog! Read on for my experience and tips to make your first indoor bouldering adventure just as memorable:

Bouldering indoors does not require any special gear apart from the shoes that help you get a better grip of the footholds. Unlike in climbing, no harness is necessary as the routes are only 4-5m (13-16ft) high. Yet the sport isn’t risk-free by any means. Upon registering I have to sign an agreement where I confirm that I understand the risks of the sport. Indoors bouldering holds the same risks as outdoors: as the agreement kindly reminds me, the padding only makes a fall more comfortable, not safer. Learning the right way to land is essential.

Climbing requires good muscles in both arms and legs (in some climbing centres there is a section with gym equipment) as well as good grip strength. This is a sport you can do even if you aren’t that fit, as long as you do it according to your own limits. It’s not a good idea to go full daredevil just to show off. Stay where you are comfortable, even if you’d see the experienced climbers around you do all kinds of cool feats: it’s not a competition. While my physical condition is alright, I wouldn’t consider myself athletic. The climbing proves to be good exercise and I can feel soreness in my palms after only a few climbs. I can also feel my adrenaline pumping.

As it quickly turns out, climbing is a lot about strategy. The focus is not on the height but on the challenge. Indoors, the route is usually well marked with footholds colour-coded according to the level of difficulty, but the challenge lies in deciding which leg or arm to use, how to swing your weight over to the next step and the one after that. Going up you’re allowed to use footholds of only one colour, the colour of the route you’re on. Even some of the seemingly more experienced climbers scaling the overhang routes pause to think of what’s the best way to reach the goal at the top. The best option depends on your personal strengths, but also your height – it’s a fun puzzle. If you get stuck, get back down and try again when you’ve caught your breath.

Upon reaching the top, there’s the part of climbing down, which isn’t always easy either, although this time you can use any footholds that are available. For me, a slight panic starts creeping up at one point: I’m at the top, and know where to move my hand next, and yet I feel that if I let go of the wall, I will not be able to hold on with my other hand. The agreement I signed, with its warnings of “personal injury or death”, flashes before my eyes when I imagine falling backwards from a height of 4m (13ft). Finally I make up my mind, knowing that I can’t hang on to the edge forever. I shift my weight to one arm and let go with the other one to quickly grip onto the next foothold. Sighing in relief, the rest of the way down goes smoothly. There is no reward waiting for me at the bottom, but the solid ground under my feet definitely feels like one.

Needless to say, bouldering is not for those suffering a fear of heights. It’s supposed to be something you do because you enjoy it and want to challenge yourself. It is important to do only as much as it feels comfortable. Nevertheless, the fact that your exercise routine is spiced up by tactics and the feeling of success after figuring out one of the trickier routes makes indoor bouldering a strength workout of the more fun kind. Your muscles may feel sore the next day (stretching and cool-down is important!), but at least you know they’ve had their workout. Plus you showed that one wall who’s the boss, and that’s pretty sweet.

Interested? Check our some of these sports facilities offering indoor bouldering: Salmisaari, Helsingin kiipeilykeskus, Boulderointikeskus

Remember to check out our youtube yoga and boxing articles for more workout inspiration!

Ylva Biri

Helsinki '18

Ylva is a PhD student at the University of Helsinki researching the linguistics of social media discourse. When not studying, procrastinating and overthinking, she enjoys shonen anime and trying out new foods.
Helsinki Contributor