Traveling With Friends: How to Minimize the Drama

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Traveling with a friend might turn out to be a great bonding experience – or a nightmare that ends your friendship.

Her Campus Helsinki lists things you and your BFF should consider before buying your plane tickets, because even on a perfect getaway there’s one thing you can’t get away from: your travel companion.

Do some self-reflecting

When you hang out with the same person 24/7, you are likely to notice their annoying little habits you didn’t see before. Take a minute to think about yours. Do you snore? Do you get super cranky if you don’t get a cup of coffee in the afternoon? Do you spend at least half an hour in the bathroom every morning?Close friends should know the worst about each other, and it’s better to give heads up.

Talk about your expectations

Very useful advice for every relationship, but essential for travel buddies. Set a daily budget and make a list of things you would like to do. Although compromises can’t be avoided, make sure both of you get at least one must-do-thing on the list.

You don’t need to make a tight schedule, but it might be helpful. Remember, some people are more comfortable following a plan, others may find that a drag.

Everybody needs some space

Choose a codeword for ”It’s nothing personal, but I could use a few minutes alone”.

When you’re tired or upset and just want to be by yourself for a while, it’s much easier to use the codeword than to have a long discussion that might easily turn into a quarrel. Take some alone time and talk about it later. Sometimes just a walk down to the hotel lobby might be enough to clear your head.

Be open-minded

A trip will never be exactly as you planned it. Don’t let lost luggage or bad weather ruin your holiday and don’t take your frustration out on others. Your friend is there for you! Face problems together, and turn a disaster into an adventure.