This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

New year, new skincare trends? Well, YES! The beginning of the new year symbolically marks a new beginning, which translates into new trends in skincare. Last year, the focus was on plant-based formulas, skincare gadgets as well as recyclable and refillable packaging. This year, the trends are expected to be just as innovative and dynamic, covering the needs of the skin that arose from the new state of affairs (aka pandemic), and they intensify the efforts for a more eco-friendly future. Here are the top beauty trends for 2021 in the field of care:

Skinimalism

It is no longer necessary to follow a 10-step routine to get healthy and radiant skin. Shortly before the end of 2020, Pinterest included skinimalism in its list of skincare trends that it speculates will define the new year. This trend calls for simplification of the facial treatment routine.

Sustainability 

The sustainability movement will grow with more brands moving from single-use to refillable packaging. Zero-waste products, recyclable packaging materials, plastic use reduction, reusable makeup pads, and sheet masks are expected to become the norm.

Celebrity Skincare Lines

Last year Rihanna, Jennifer Lopez, Pharrell Williams, and Alicia Keys were just some additions to the list of celebrities who launched their own skincare line. In 2021, others are expected to follow.

Genderless Skincare

Following the rise of gender-neutral fashion, genderless facial care products are coming to confirm the prediction that the future is androgynous or even less gender determined. In the past, men’s skincare was one of the biggest taboos, as adopting a skincare routine was considered a sign of reduced manhood. Now both Rihanna’s Fenty Skin and Pharell Williams’ Humanitarian series are paving the way for a genderless skincare future.

De-Stressing Skincare

After the end of 2020, a year that will go down in history as a challenging one for many, more and more brands will turn their attention to creating compositions that reduce stress on the skin. Many new 2021 products will feature relaxing fragrances and refreshing ingredients such as ginseng and ginger.

Microbiome-Friendly

Products that respect the microbiome of the skin, i.e., the ecosystem of billions of microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi and viruses, are expected to become extremely popular this year. Top choices contain probiotics, which help grow and maintain pre-existing beneficial bacteria in the microbiome, keeping skin healthy and reducing the symptoms of conditions such as acne and eczema.

Maria Printezi

Helsinki '24

I am a student of English Philology and Linguistics at the University of Helsinki.
Helsinki Contributor