Wellness > Health

Stranded in Chaos: 4 Excellent Ways to Relieve Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

As students, we all know the basics of procrastination and the outcome, as well as dragging along this endless chaotic and haunting emotional and physical tension which doesn’t require an invitation – it breaks the door and gets comfortable with a cup of tea and by putting its feet on the table. Let me introduce you four excellent ways to get rid of the uninvited guest or, at least, somewhat relieve the tension.

1. Exercise

I know some of you hate to hear this but yes, exercise is a great way to relieve stress. By putting your body through physical stress, you relieve your mental stress at the same time. This may sound contradictory, but it does the trick. In the long run, exercise lowers the stress hormones in your body. It also improves your sleep quality (which is always very important to remember). Exercise doesn’t automatically apply to going to the gym six times a week and sweating your butt off. It can be as simple as walking, dancing, yoga or jogging – your body, your choice.

2. Write it all down

There are a few different types of writing I’m suggesting here.

1. Let out whatever bothers you and record what stresses you. This automatically leads to dealing with your emotions. Write and breathe.
  2. Instead of making chaotic to do lists, try writing done lists instead. This way you see what you have already achieved and not what you still have to do.
  3. Write down what you are grateful for. When focusing your thoughts on the positive details in your life, you may be waving adios to the bad, uninvited amigo.

3. Breathe

For some, this may sound slightly odd but by focusing on your breathing, aka meditating, you eliminate the stream of thoughts that cause stress.

Sit or lie down comfortably. Place your hand on your stomach below the ribs and the other on your chest. Take a deep breath in and count to six. Wait for two seconds, then breath out through pursed lips while counting to eight. Repeat this four to ten times.

4. Spend time with important people

Last but definitely not the least, spend time with friends or/and family, especially with people who make you laugh. Being part of a social network brings you joy and a sense of self-worth and belonging, all things to beat stress with. By laughing, your body automatically relieves stress response and tension by relaxing your muscles.

Now, let’s laugh our butts off while remembering to breath. Remember your self-worth and to take care of yourself.

Want to keep up with Her Campus at Helsinki? Follow us on InstagramTwitter, and like us on Facebook.

Helsinki Contributor