This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

The snow is slowly melting and there is this feeling in the air that smells suspiciously like spring. I have even seen the first person walking outside without a jacket despite the temperatures still being close to zero degrees. It is still a bit too early to hope that the sun is here to stay, but there seems to be a certain spring in people’s step when they are walking outside (if they are not slipping on the icy pavements that is) that hints at the promise of lighter days.  

But not only the longer days and warmer air can make us feel lighter. Spring is the perfect time to let go of unnecessary baggage; and not only in regard to material things. We tend to collect a lot of emotional burdens that weigh us down and keep us restless, oftentimes without us realizing why. Daily stress and constantly looming deadlines seem to keep us from enjoying any free time we have. But there are a few tips and tricks to help us experience the first days of spring a bit more lightheartedly.

1.  Take a break from social media

You most probably have heard that one before and might have immediately dismissed it. But don’t worry, I’m not asking you to delete all your social media accounts and go back to writing letters (though there are certainly advantages in that), but to be aware of how many times you unconsciously reach for your smartphone to check for any new messages or to aimlessly scroll through your news feed. Try to log out of your account to get some distance and let your phone be for a couple hours. Because, let us be honest, most of the information on social media is not very consequential for our lives but still clogs up our memory and time.

Worse than that, it creates a sort of parallel reality we try to fit into: keeping up with the newest trends, being up to date of every aspect of our friends’ life shared online and showing our online community how great life is. Life tends to be easier when we enjoy the here and now and worry less about a life led behind pretty pictures

2.  Be open to positivity

It’s a lot easier to say “be positive” than to actually feel positive; especially in stressful times. But the way we think about a situation tends to influence the outcome in a manner otherwise out of our control. Getting up in the morning with dark thoughts on our mind which are telling us that this day will be hard, stressful and exhausting is most often than not a self-fulfilling prophecy. Because, how good can a day be if we have already decided right from the start that we will not enjoy it? Therefore, try to think of the parts of the day you are excited about. These can be small things, such as grabbing a coffee with a good friend, finally finishing that essay or cuddling with your dog. Furthermore, work will feel a lot easier if you are not dreading to do it. Surprising, but true.

It might feel a bit weird at first, but small positive messages to ourselves can trick our brain into having a more optimistic outlook on things. Recognize what that inner voice is telling you. If you realise that it is mostly pessimistic, try to actively look for the positives in the situation. However, do not force yourself to be happy. It is perfectly alright not to feel cheerful all the time as all emotions are part of life.

It also helps to think about and recognize the good things in our lives and write them down. Which brings me to the next point:

3.  Keep a journal

Writing things down helps our brain to organize its thoughts and make sense of the situation. Writing down the positive aspects will make you grateful for them more deeply. But it is not only the good things you should write down: it is the good and the bad, the annoying and the cheerful, the stressing matters that keep you up at night and the thoughts that make you smile.

Writing down what is on our mind and then looking back at it help us to make sense of a situation, to take a step back to look at it from a distance before making a decision. It makes it a lot easier to be honest about those thoughts and feelings we otherwise tend to keep to ourselves. You will feel lighter when you share them, even if it is just with yourself.

Anna-Lena Krug

Helsinki '20

Anna-Lena is a German student of Global Politics and Communication at the University of Helsinki. She loves to read and to get lost in new places; something that has been very easy to do in Finland so far.
Helsinki Contributor