This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

The cold and rainy autumn days really make you crave warm and simple comfort food. Pumpkins and squashes are not the most traditional ingredients in Finnish cuisine, but at this time of year they can be found in basically every grocery store. This velvety-smooth soup captures the best seasonal flavours. It is easy to make and suitable for vegans.

You need:

1 small sugar pumpkin

1 medium butternut squash

3–4 potatoes

3–4 carrots

1 onion

2–4 cloves of garlic

2 – 3 cups of vegetable stock

1 cup coconut cream

2 tablespoons of olive oil

salt, black pepper, nutmeg (+ cinnamon, rosemary)

(sesame seed oil or pumpkin seed oil, pumpkin seeds)

Start by preparing the vegetables: peel, seed and cube the pumpkin and butternut squash. Peel and cube potatoes and carrots. Chop the onion and mince the garlic.

Heat oil in large pot (if you want to, you can fry some pumpkin seeds first and use them to decorate the soup). Add onion, garlic and cubed pumpkin and squash, cook for a few minutes until the onion is translucent. Pour in vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and carrots and let simmer until tender. Add coconut cream and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg (and other spices of your choice; try for example cinnamon and rosemary).

Blend until smooth (use an immersion blender or pour the soup in a blender in batches).

To add some extra flavour (and to make it look more appealing on Instagram) sprinkle some pumpkin seeds and drizzle sesame seed oil or pumpkin seed oil on the surface.

Helsinki Contributor