This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Microwave ovens have become an essential part of our lives, they are easy to use and they save our time. Nowadays you can heat food in a microwave almost everywhere: at workplace, at cafes, even at a supermarket.

However, despite common use of microwaves, there are many misconceptions related to these appliances.

How does a microwave work?

Microwave oven cooks food by exposing it to electromagnetic radiation. Electromagnetic waves heat food by causing molecules in materials that contain water to vibrate (Wíkipedia). That is why high-water-content foods get prepared quickly (U.S.News).

Is it safe to cook food in a microwave?

Microwaves are claimed to zap the nutritional value of the food. There is also many concerns related to heating foods that are wrapped in plastic. For example, the article by Medical Daily says that there is an evidence that plastic used in microwave food packaging produces carcinogens while being heated. According to the article besides the risk of a cancer caused by exposure to carcinogens, microwaving food can cause changes in blood and heart rate. This sounds horrifying, but is this really true?

According to Harvard Health Publication, there is no danger of getting cancer from microwaving food, but certain types of plastic do release chemicals that are dangerous for our health – namely phthalates and bisphenol-A (BPA) which have the ability (Time) to affect estrogen and testosterone levels in humans. Containers with a microwave-safe icon meet FDA standards and specifications and are safe to use. However, the best way to avoid the risk of exposure to dangerous chemicals is to microwave food in glass or ceramic. According to WHO: “Food cooked in a microwave oven is as safe, and has the same nutrient value, as food cooked in a conventional oven”. Heating food in a microwave preserves nutrients better than other cooking methods. Cooking time is one of the key factors that affect nutrients – the quicker food is cooked, the better.

Helsinki Contributor