Cake 1jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Cake 1jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Siiri Sinko

Fresh & Easy Vegan Cheesecake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Need something sweet and fresh to make your early spring evenings? Prepare an easy and fresh vegan cheesecake with small effort and big delight!

Tip: This version has a very light, creamy texture. If you want your cake to be more rich or greasy, try adding more cheese and less cream.

Ingredients:

approx. 150 g of whole-wheat biscuits (e.g. Digestive)

75 g vegan margarine suitable for baking

1 lemon and its peel

1.5 dl vegan whipping cream (e. g. Planti)

1.5 dl vegan vanilla sauce for whipping (e.g. Planti)

200 g vegan cream cheese (e. g. Violife or Oatly)

0.5 – 1.5 dl sugar

(Frozen) berries of your choice (optional)

Instructions:

Preheat an oven to 100 °C. If you use frozen berries, thaw them at room temperature. Put the biscuits in a small plastic bag and grind them by pounding with a rolling pin or an equivalent. The crust does not have to be fine, it is okay to leave it lumpy.

Melt the margarine and mix it with the biscuit crust in a bowl. Cut a fitting piece of baking paper for a cake mold and spread the crust on the bottom of it. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes to get a crispy cake base.

Rinse the lemon well. Grate it and squeeze the juice.

Whisk the cream and vanilla sauce together. Add vegan cream cheese, grated lemon peel, lemon juice and ½ dl sugar. Whisk well and taste. Depending on the cheese you use and on the sourness of the lemon, you might want to add less or more sugar.

Add the berries of your choice on top of the biscuit cake base. After, put the filling on top. Place the finished cake in a refrigerator and let it congeal for at least six hours, preferably overnight.

Decorate with lemon peel or berries before serving, or – you know – just eat it all by yourself!

All pictures by the author

Siiri Sinko

Helsinki '21

The author is a student of political history in the University of Helsinki. She is a sensible freak who enjoys the fine little details of life. Her interests and hobbies include history, music, visual arts, cartoons, national symbols and international competitions.
Helsinki Contributor