This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

November is here and that means mulled wine! Here’s how to up your wine game and make your own mulled wine. The choices are literally endless…

Pick Your Wine

Base matters! First, you need to decide whether to go with red or white. If you want a deep, rich red, try Shiraz, whereas for a crisp white mulled wine base, you might want to consider Riesling. There’s the matter of alcohol too – in fact, why not go with non-alcoholic wine this year?

Season It Well

This is where you get to actually customise your mulled wine. You’ll get a solid white mulled wine with cinnamon, cardamon and a couple of cloves. For red, I recommend a combination of the abovementioned with dried star fruit and orange zest. For a more experimental batch, try adding some vanilla, lavender or chili. You can really get creative here!

Make It Sweet

Honey is my go-to sweetener, particularly when it comes to white wine (try agave or maple syrup for a vegan version). Brown sugar works really well with red wine. If you want to go make a lighter version, you might want to try stevia (but just add bit by bit so as not to make your wine taste too much like an artificial sweetener).

Get Creative

Don’t be afraid to be adventurous with your mulled wine! Try different fruit, wines, spices and sweeteners to get that perfect, personal mulled wine. You can separate your base into a few different batches and try different flavour combinations – just remeber to have fun!

Helsinki Contributor
An English major, Campus Correspondent, feminist and aspiring literary scholar.