This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Earlier this week, we’ve shared a yummy recipe of Christmas glögi and mentioned that it’s traditionally served with gingerbread cookies. In today’s article, we want to show you how to make the best Christmas treat – Finnish Piparkakku (gingerbread cookie). 

Ingredients:

150 g soft brown sugar or normal sugar

250 g sugar molasses or sugar syrup

½ – 1 tsp ginger powder

3 tsp cinnamon powder

½ tsp cloves powder

½ – 1 tsp cardamon powder

150 g butter

1 egg

2 tsp baking soda

500 – 600 g flour

Image credit: Naked Plate

How to make:

Mix sugar syrup, brown soft sugar and spices in a pan and heat until boiling. Put butter in a mixing bowl and pour hot sugar mixture over it. Mix until butter is melted. Add one egg to the sugar mixture; after the mixture is bit cooled, add flour and soda, mix well. Let the dough rest in the fridge overnight. Roll the dough on a floured table top and use any kind of cookie cutter you prefer. Place cookies on a baking tray and bake about 8 minutes at 200-225°C  in the oven.

Helsinki Contributor
Helsinki-based, Anna is an MA graduate in English Philology, an inspirational corporate English trainer at goFluent professional training language school, and a former Campus Correspondent/writer/social media manager at HC Helsinki. When Anna is not teaching and running her language blog @annalina.eng , she can usually be found practicing chillout Hatha yoga and dancing energetic Zumba.