element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Cup of Christmas Glögi – Finnish Mulled Wine from Hvitträsk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

The best beverage of holiday spirit and cheer, a glass of steaming mulled wine, or glögi, as we call it in Finland, or glögg in other Scandinavian countries is always a go-to way of keeping ourselves warm during harsh winters. 

The today’s recipe of glögi comes from Hvitträsk, a present-day museum and a previous studio home for the members of the Finnish architecture firm Gesellius, Lindgren and Saarinen.

The distinctive feature of the Hvitträsk version of the drink comes as an inspiration from the amazing blueberry forest. While the drink is typically served with gingerbread cookies, in Hvitträsk, you will always find mulled wine served with blueberry-oat cookies.

So, for making Hvitträsk glögi, take: 

• 1 litre blackcurrant juice
  • 0.5 litre apple juice

• 2 cinnamon sticks

• Half a vanilla bean

• 4 cloves

• 3 cardamom seeds (or a pinch of ground cardamom)

• 1 tsp ground Seville orange peel

• 2 star anise

• 3–5 dl red wine

Procedure:

Simmer for 20–30 minutes and then strain.

Enjoy the drink!

Helsinki Contributor
Helsinki-based, Anna is an MA graduate in English Philology, an inspirational corporate English trainer at goFluent professional training language school, and a former Campus Correspondent/writer/social media manager at HC Helsinki. When Anna is not teaching and running her language blog @annalina.eng , she can usually be found practicing chillout Hatha yoga and dancing energetic Zumba.