This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Everyone who has studied in Europe (especially in Finland) knows that odd feeling in the chest when your coordinator tells you to choose elective studies or so-called minor studies. Panic kicks in, and you have zero ideas. To be fair, a solid number of students chose their minor studies before they even applied to the university. However, most of us do not even have a suggestion. Today we are going to take a look at different strategies to make that important choice (to save some time and nerve cells). I am not going to say what you should study and why. It is always up to you. Rather, I will give you different perspectives on how to choose your studies.

Personal interest in a subject

I guess this is the most obvious one. You might study a degree in economics but you have always been interested in the literature of the 20th century. Why do not you check out available courses on your favorite topic? It is perfectly fine to pick a minor that does not align with your future career at all. This is an amazing opportunity to gain new knowledge. Maybe one day you will find acquired knowledge very useful.

Economical reasoning

If you are worried about your future employability, this option is for you. Of course, there is no guarantee that after graduation you will find a job with a certain combination of subjects. However, choosing a minor that complements your major might be a good idea. Try to keep your future career goals in mind. Minor studies do not necessarily need to be selected from related degree programs. They can also be quite unrelated but still complement each other. For example, you major in law and minor in political studies.

The easy way out

Let’s be honest. We all are in totally different situations right now, and you might not simply have additional resources. It is okay to take the easy way out. Then it is more about the courses than the subject itself. Choose courses that you will pass without putting in a huge effort.

I hope you found these perspectives helpful. At the end of the day, the decision is yours. If you still feel uncertain, do not hesitate to contact your adviser or coordinator.

My name is Diana and I am an English major at the University of Helsinki. Love books, writing and studying languages.