78564638 2522471701317408 1042680118004154368 n 1jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
78564638 2522471701317408 1042680118004154368 n 1jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Suvi Liimatainen

Brownies with a Christmas Twist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

When I want to bake, brownies are always my go-to recipe, because they are so fast and easy to make. This year, I wanted to try to update my brownies recipe to fit my Christmas mood and added some spice and of course gingerbread cookies!

This recipe is also vegan, and the brownies will be extremely fluffy and a quick fix to your or your guest’s chocolate cravings!

Ingredients for the dough:

150 g vegan margarine

3 dl sugar

0,5 dl soy yoghurt (natural)

2 teaspoons vanilla sugar

5 dl flour for baking

100g dark chocolate chips (vegan)

1 teaspoon baking powder

¾ teaspoon baking soda

3 tablespoons dark chocolate powder (unsweetened)

½ teaspoon cinnamon

½ teaspoon clove (powder)

2 dl soymilk

Ingredients for the dressing:

50 g vegan margarine (slightly melted in the microwave)

5 tablespoons strong coffee (dark)

2 tablespoons dark chocolate powder (unsweetened)

2 teaspoons vanilla sugar

4 dl powdered sugar

Decorate with chocolate chips and pieces of ginger bread cookies

Instructions for the dough

1. Preheat the oven to 200 °C. Line an oven pan with baking paper.
  2. In a bowl, mix margarine and sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy, then add the soy yoghurt as well.
  3. Mix the dry ingredients in another bowl: flour, vanilla sugar, chocolate chips, baking powder, baking soda, chocolate powder, cinnamon and clove.
  4. Add the dry ingredients in another bowl alternately with soymilk.
  5. Pour into prepared pan and smooth out.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Let cool in pan before making the dressing.

Instructions for the dressing

1. Put the vegan margarine in a bowl and melt in the microwave until smooth.
  2. Add in coffee, chocolate powder and vanilla sugar. Add the powdered sugar alternatively. Mix with a hand mixer until you are happy with the consistency.
  3. Pour the dressing on the brownies and smooth out.
  4. Add the decorations.
The author is a student of Translation and Interpretation of French from the University of Helsinki. She is constantly up to planning new travels around the world, learning more about herself and cherishing her friends. She loves to pay attention on the little details and explore between different cultures. 
Helsinki Contributor