On Culture and Creativity, and Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Conscious producing of culture provides such complex and diverse sources of enjoyment and fulfillment that I believe we will never run out of subjects and exploration in them. Enjoying books and cuisine for instance can be done without harming anyone, especially through focusing on sustainable methods and sharing. These days, I often ponder on hope and the betterment of the world through supporting local food, local arts, and local activities, while also acknowledging the positive sides of globalization and advanced technology. In some contexts, betterment may be seen as the mindless wanting for everything to increase and grow forever, but we know we are in need of more balance and slowing down.

Sometimes we get to focus on the small moments and emotions we experience in glimpses or floods in this life, and I think that films and literature, as well as plain everyday stories told, manifest the lovely and authentic human experience. There is a reason why we can be deeply touched when seeing a certain film; we may get restless, feel the tears running down our cheeks and try to remain silent; to wipe them off before anyone sees, or proudly let them see, after realizing that that is exactly what these works of art are made for. To touch us in our hearts, in our experiences, in our senses of identity – we, as humans, have countless amounts of feelings that have gone past our minds, without us necessarily noticing or recognizing them. We have been through problems and pain, and when that kind of moment is presented in a film, or a literary work, very often we can be shocked or transformed, because we never came around to touch that part in ourselves, not until we saw that moment expressed in a way we can understand. To let our mind and hearts to really experience it, without trying to be cool or content, to let go of the urge to resist what we are feeling can give us a sense of relief and freedom.

At some point of our lives, we need to challenge every concept we have about ourselves or the world – we need to realize that our old protective mechanisms may no longer serve a purpose in our lives. In the past, hiding oneself might have provided the space to focus on silent working and self-exploration, but when our lives go on, we notice that there may be various restrictions and set beliefs in our minds and stuck in our muscle memories, thoughts like “I can’t live like this, I can’t learn or flourish, I can’t be happy”, that are not based on any truth. We can do more than we ever believed to be possible, and when I say more, I don’t mean more things or more of trying to fulfill external expectations, but more living in the moment, knowing ourselves better, and appreciating everything along the way. It’s knowing what matters for us and expressing ourselves in own our way and through culture from there.

Art and different forms of culture exist everywhere in various ways, and sometimes the possibility to express oneself can be out of reach. In some countries, any kind of expression of ideas can be seen as a threat, while in others, the honest thought can be challenged by the surrounding environment and system. It is an intricate world, where we must constantly navigate what speaks to us, or what we would like to use our voice for. The feeling and emotions we express through culture, through stories, can help us to see what needs more focus and whose voices may not be heard in our society. After all, the all-surrounding culture has always been the reflection of everything we experience; love, shame, empathy, insecurity, fear, loss, gratitude, joy of being together; when any moment which is, wanted or not, a part of life, there will be a thrive to depict it.

Laura Korhonen

Helsinki '23

Laura is from Northern Finland and studies English. Like any other Finn, she loves snowy skies, forests, and freshly baked cinnamon buns. She's passionate about movies, books, and working towards a more sustainable and safe world.