5 Tips to Get Through the First Weeks of the Academic Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

The new semester is here, which means that there are fascinating lectures and seminars to attend to, interesting essays to write and new people to meet. It is always fun to have a sort of clean slate for the new academic year, but how to make sure that you are ready to face the upcoming adventures and challenges? 

Here are five tips to get through the first, somewhat overwhelming, weeks of this academic year.

1. Find the Right Balance with Your Courses

Our degrees consist of different kinds of studies, and all of them cannot be our cup of tea. So, make sure that you will have some not-so-interesting courses together with your favourite ones. 

Find the right kind of balance and do not make your timetable too full. You will always have some reading to do at home or essays to prepare for the next lecture, so try not to have too long days at the university.

2. Get Ready 

Borrow your course books on time and make sure that you know where you are supposed to be and when. You can find the maps of the university’s buildings by Googling them, for example. 

3. Join in Student Activities

Most of the groups will have their first meet-ups at the beginning of the semester. If you are interested in joining a choir, a thespian group or anything else, check out their first meetings of the academic year on their Facebook page, for instance.

4. Take Care of Yourself

Do not forget the most important part of your studies: your health. Sleep and eat well, exercise and spend time with your loved ones. Furthermore, take walks in the woods and enjoy the changing seasons. Nature has a way to calm us, so make sure you spend some time in the calmness of your nearest park.

5. Her Campus Says Relax 

The first weeks can be quite overpacked, so make sure that you will find some me-time, too. Go for a walk in the park (you can see that I am obsessed with nature and parks), read good books or take a break with Viaplay. No matter how you decide to relax, just remember to do it.

Research proves that the best results come to those who can take a breather once in a while, too. 

Currently studying at the University of Helsinki with a major in English. When I'm not studying, you can find me reading and obsessing over books, traveling, binge-watching sitcoms and talking about my dogs and human rights.
Helsinki Contributor