This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

This fall I tutored for the first time in a university context. The experience was rewarding and fun. Before applying for the position, I had tutored in upper secondary school and studied as an exchange student in a university abroad. Those past experiences definitely made me want to try being a tutor for exchange students at the university. Here are five things I learned while tutoring exchange students.

1.    Planning 

Tutoring in university requires the tutor to plan activities for the tutees. It was fun and demanding at the same time. I needed to fulfill the basic needs of the new students – for example, navigating the university campus, aiding with the course selection and to get the students know each other. The top priority was also to make sure they were having fun. The plan was to make a reasonable schedule for the orientation week that could also be modified.   

2.    Flexibility 

Tutoring requires flexibility. There are a lot of changes and surprises along the way which need fast decision making skills and reaction. The plans made for the day almost always changed one way or another. Also, there may be people who need special care and if that comes as a surprise, it is good to have plan B or C already fixed and prepared. Be ready to face anything and also relaxed enough not to take the unavoidable changes personally. 

3.    Leadership

As a tutor, you are responsible for your group. While going from task to task, you need to show the way for the group. It requires your attention and sensitivity to be able to listen the group and find the right phase. While showing around the campus, it is good to pay attention to the way you speak. Make sure everyone hears what you are going to say and keep all on board. Being a tutor asks for a leader mentality, which you can grow into while experimenting. 

4.    You are not alone

Most of the time you will be tutoring alone and taking care of the group for the orientation week. Still, there are plenty of people around you can ask for help in planning events for the students. Tutors and tutees together make the week fun by sharing the experience. You are not alone and most definitely get the support you need. 

5.    Confidence

After going through all the hecticness, it is very true that tutoring will give you a boost of confidence. Solving problems, answering difficult questions, changing plans, leading a group of people and more, will make you proud of yourself for succeeding in it. This new confidence might make you to be a tutor again, and maybe try new things that you may not have tried otherwise.

In the end you make a lot of new friends and memories. Beside those great things, you will also learn about yourself and get out of your comfort zone. I definitely recommend you to try tutoring! 

I am studying theology in the University of Helsinki. My interests vary from Asian culture to spirituality and self growth. I hope I can share the stories, people and new thoughts about the world and write enjoyable articles.
Helsinki Contributor