jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things to Be Excited About in January

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

1. Spring is Coming

Although these dark, cold days may make you feel like there is literally no light at the end of the tunnel, trust me, there is. Day by day and hour by hour, days are getting a bit longer and brighter. Before you know it, you can see the midnight sun in the sky once again!

2. Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day is the celebration of love, so what’s not to love about this day? Some celebrate it with their boyfriend or girlfriend, and some people spend this lovely day with their closest friends. No matter how you celebrate this pink day, be sure to spread some love and, for example, hug a friend, dog or tree!

3. New Year, New Me

Everyone is already bored with this phrase, but the beginning of a new year offers us an opportunity to turn over a new leaf annually. You can make resolutions for the new year. You can promise to smile more or give compliments daily or you can just make a conscious change in your life. Will you become a vegan once a week? Will you read 12 books this year? A new year always makes us change our ways somehow, and change is almost always a good thing. It is said that a comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there. 

4. New Releases of 2019

Are you into films? Are you ready for the new Richard Curtis film that comes out this summer? Or are you more interested to see how your favourite superheroes survive in the new Avengers film? Or is it the Oscar buzz that gets you going? Are you eager to see new albums being released, and new books being published this year?

If your answer is ‘yes’ to any of these questions, you have a reason to smile this January because 2019 has something to offer for everyone!

5. Finland’s EU Presidency in 2019

If none of the above makes you excited about January, Finland’s EU Presidency probably will. The Presidency of the Council rotates in an established order among the EU Member States every six months, and Finland’s third EU Presidency period begins on 1 July 2019. So, if you don’t have anything else to do in January, count down the days until our EU Presidency period begins!

Have a fulfilling spring!

Currently studying at the University of Helsinki with a major in English. When I'm not studying, you can find me reading and obsessing over books, traveling, binge-watching sitcoms and talking about my dogs and human rights.
Helsinki Contributor