This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Now that the academic year is almost over, we all have some time to relax and binge-watch series. In this post, I decided to share my favorite TOP 5 for re-watching.

1. the queen’s gambit

The Queen’s Gambit is based on a novel of the same name written by Walter Trevis. It is a story about the life of Elizabeth Harmon, a chess prodigy from an orphanage. The Queen’s Gambit is simply a beautifully and truthfully portrayed story of reaching the world’s elite in chess. This miniseries is definitely meant for those who love the sport and the aesthetics of the mid-1950s and 1960s in the United States of America.

2. peaky blinders

Now, let’s switch our geography for a bit and next explore a series worth all hype. Peaky Blinders is a British crime drama that premiered in 2013 by BBC. This story is centered mainly around a crime family of mixed Irish Catholic and Romani origins based in Birmingham that is always looking for power and money. It takes place in post-WW1 England (Birmingham) which makes it even more interesting. By the way, the gang in this story is fictional. However, it is loosely based on a real youth gang whose members were active between the 1880s and 1910s.

3. why women kill

Have you ever thought about why women kill? Yes, me neither. Luckily, we have Marc Cherry who decided to depict all leading events leading to deaths caused by women.

The first season follows three women: housewife Beth Ann in 1963, socialite Simone in 1984, and attorney Taylor Harding in 2019. All three women from different decades are connected through the same things: living in the same mansion and experiencing infidelity in their marriages. Spoiler alert: the infidelity in each marriage sets off a chain of events that ends with a death caused by a woman. This well-filmed dark comedy-drama premiered only three years ago in 2019.

4. how to get away with murder

After the previous show, it is interesting to know how to get away with all the crimes you have committed. For this purpose, I included an American legal thriller. How to Get Away with Murder depicts a life of a law professor at a prestigious university and five law students who end up being tied to a murder plot. While this story might not be the most accurate representation of studying in law school, it gives you a captivating view of court hearings.

5. anne with an e

Anne with an E is totally out of the dynamic in this list. However, I decided to include it (just in case you find the previous series too heavy). Anne with an E is a truly adorable story about Anne Shirley growing up as an adopted child at the beginning of the 20th century. This Canadian series addresses important themes such as identity, prejudice, and bullying but everything in a gentle manner.

Enjoy!

Helsinki Contributor