This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

This past year, online TV series & movie platforms have quickly become the most common way to watch and consume the newest TV series and movies released along the year, whilst so called “real-life” cinemas around the world have had to close their doors facing the current covid-19 restrictions. Luckily, most of these platforms have started to offer their users “premium movie” experiences that help both cinemas and the film industry struggling with the pandemic. They also provide a handy tool for those seeking for something new to watch, or just to have something fun to do for a while.

Eventhough the biggest platforms provide wide selections of different sorts of content, always at some point, one begins to wonder whether there is anything new to see anymore. Luckily,  in order to give you some inspiration to find something new to watch this evening, here’s my short list of international TV series that you might have not seen yet! Enjoy!

1. Dark (Germany, series 1-3, 2017-2020, Netflix)

If you like themes such as thriller and science fiction with a supernatural and mysterious twist, this series is perfect for you! Setting in a small nuclear town in Germany called Winden, the series takes you to an intense adventure between times and worlds. Jonas, a normal secondary school student, goes looking for his brother who went missing after managing to open a portal back in time. The series includes bittersweet lovedrama and interesting philosophical questions about one’s purpose in life while making you think if other dimensions and worlds with different times would be possible! With dark features and even darker and booming music this series is perfect for an ideal “interstellar experience”! 

2. The Queen’s Gambit (USA, series 1, 2020, Netflix) 

If playing chess has always sounded boring and kind of a waste of time, this series will definitely change your mind! Based on Walter Tevis’s novel published in 1983 called Queen’s Gambit, the series reveals the hidden secrets and moves behind its characters, portraying the story from a young girl’s perspective. Combining a description of 1950’s America and questions about gender and sex, this series is a fresh review of an orphan girl’s life who struggles with different addictions while trying to achieve her ambitions in the world of chess. 

3. Freud (Austria/Germany, series 1, 2020, Netflix)

The most famous Austrian neurologist ever lived, Sigmund Freud must be one of those names that everyone recognises. The series Freud combines crime and a re-make of Freud’s life when he was young, portraying the scientist’s life in Vienna. Crime and mystery seem to surround Freud whenever, and you really don’t know what to expect next!

4. Mental (France, series 1-2, 2019, France.tv Slash)

Based on a Finnish TV series called Sekasin (2016), Mental tells a story of four young adults living in a psychiatric clinic. Dealing with different kinds of mental health problems, the series reveals the lives behind disorders taking part in the current discussion of young people’s mental health. The intriguing characters and dramatic changes of scenery really make you want to binge watch this! 

Sources:

Netflix, France.tv Slash. 

Hello! I am a language enthusiast studying at the Helsinki university. In my writings, I always try to use current topics, and I especially enjoy writing about DIY and crafts ideas!
Helsinki Contributor