Wellness

3 fun racket sports to try out this summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

The academic year is coming to an end and the long-awaited summer is just around the corner, which means it’s a perfect time to pick up a new sport! Gather your friends and give these racket sports a try!

1. Padel

I think it is fair to say that padel stands currently among the most trendy sports, but in case you have never heard about it, to put it simply, padel is a racket sport typically played by four players and as a game it combines elements of tennis, squash and badminton. And to all of you, including myself, who find tennis difficult, do not let the description fool you. In terms of technique and physique, padel is actually very beginner-friendly as it requires less from the players and is therefore popular among all ages. Padel can be played both indoors and outdoors, which makes it a perfect summer sport. It is also an excellent way to socialise and make new friends even. If you are in Helsinki, there are a number of beautiful padel courts around the city and most of them rent the equipment as well. My personal favourite, Open Padel has padel courts located in Lauttasaari with a stunning sea view. I genuinely can’t imagine a better way to spend a sunny summer day than by playing padel by the sea with your best friends.

2. Squash

I can’t be the only one who has discovered their parent’s old squash rackets from the 80s when doing some decluttering in the house. I personally think squash is an underrated sport for no reason and we should bring it back to life and give it the reputation it deserves. Squash has a lot to offer for someone who is looking for a slightly more demanding sport, yet still enjoys a great fun. Squash is typically played by two or four players and it shines as a rainy day sport as it is typically played indoors. It is a fast-paced sport, which requires not only good eye-hand coordination but also endurance. However, squash can turn into one of the most exciting sports once you start to get a hang of it, so do not give up too easily. Talihalli in western Helsinki offers top facilities for squash sessions. Next time your beach plans get canceled by rainy weather, go and try out squash instead!

3. Badminton

Badminton is probably the one we’re most familiar with, yet often forget about. Professional badminton should not be underestimated, but leisurely played, it is very easy to get started with. The racket is light and easy to hold and the game is easy to regulate to fit your own level of fitness and experience. Badminton can be played by two or four players, so what about a badminton tournament between your friends next weekend? Most sports halls offer badminton courts for rent and they’re usually also very affordable.

In case your sports shoes haven’t seen daylight in a while, now if ever is a great time to take them out again and have fun with these new racket sports!

Mimmi Mommo

Helsinki '25

German major in the University of Helsinki. Currently in love with the Alps, lyrical jazz and gel nails.