This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Mac & Cheese:

Mac & cheese is a childhood classic and is extremely cheap and easy to make, but it lacks variety and nutrients; mix it up with healthy ingredients to make your mac & cheese restaurant worthy.

Need:

– 1 cup chicken breast

– 1 cup of baby spinach or ½ cup broccoli

– 4 slices of cooked bacon

1. Follow the instructions on the package like you normally would for mac & cheese.

2. While cooking the noodles, brown the chicken breast with some olive oil on high heat. Cook until the pink color turns white, then lower the heat and cook until the chicken is golden.

3. Cut broccoli and bacon into smaller pieces.

4. After you stir in the milk and cheese sauce, add chicken and bacon. Stir and cook for a few minutes before adding the veggies. Stir in and heat for about 5 minutes.

5. Remove from heat and serve with optional sprinkled breadcrumbs and enjoy!

Tacos

If you’re craving Mexican cuisine but tired of the same old soft and crunchy tacos, switch up your routine and make taco pies!

Need:

– 1 pound ground beef

– 1 round onion

– 1 pack (usually an ounce) of Taco Seasoning mix

– 1 green bell pepper & 1 tomato

– ½ cup of Biscuick pancake mix

– 2 eggs

– 1 cup of milk

– 1 cup Monterey Jack or 4 Cheese Mexican Blend (if you don’t like it super cheesy, ¾ cup is good.)

1. On a skillet on high heat, pour about a teaspoon of olive oil and brown the ground beef. Add the onions and cook on medium heat. Stir in the seasoning and heat for about 5 more minutes. If it doesn’t cook all the way, that’s okay because we will be baking the mixture later on. Spoon the mixture on to a pie pan or circular Pyrex glass bowl.

3. Dice the bell pepper and the tomato, then pour on top the beef mixture.

4. In a medium sized bowl, mix the bisquick, eggs, & milk until the mixture is runny and smooth. Pour 1/3 of the mixture on to a pie pan or circular Pyrex glass bowl. Then layer the beef mixture on top. Next layer is the bell pepper and tomato.

5. Bake for 25 minutes, then sprinkle the cheese on top and bake no more than 10 minutes.

6. Serve with salsa, sour cream and avocado to make it even more delicious and enjoy your taco pie!

~Half Korean-half White hybrid majoring in Communicology and German; with a minor in Business Administration. ~Easy-going CAT LOVER & Humanitarian..don't worry, I also have a Yorkie. ~When I'm not working, reading, writing, or cuddling with my pup and cat, you can find me on campus mentoring freshmen and planning campus events. ~Dream job: Writing for Buzzfeed... Heyyyy Buzzfeed! ;)
Hawaii Contributor Account