This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

This past week since Kobe, Gigi, John, Keri, Alyssa, Christina, Ara, Sarah, and Payton passed away, the world has been a whirlwind of grief and confusion. Every social media app I open, there is Kobe and Gigi, and my heart breaks. The helicopter crash that occurred is truly a tragedy that will sting your heart forever. The fact that one man had a great effect on billions of people is unexplainable. The fact that a 13-year-old girl who had her whole life ahead of her, had it taken away after a morning with her father and her teammates. They all were excited to play in their basketball game, and the parents were supporting them. They were living and doing what made them happy. This is an ordinary day that ended painfully and unexpectedly. This is why this tragedy stings your heart because the nine victims did not deserve it– no one does. This is a tragedy. A devastating tragedy. I can’t stop thinking about it, and my heart sinks to a place unknown. 

Kobe- he never stopped smiling; his words matched his actions, and his external love was noticeably shining in every direction he embarked; basketball, teammates, friends, and his family. His impact on this world cannot be put into words.

A man who supported women in sports, his four daughters and wife.

He left this Earth, leaving a piece of himself in everyone’s heart; that is why this is so hard to process.

Little did I know before entering college, my life would be hit with tragedy. I will never be able to shake the feelings I experienced. This feeling was triggered that Sunday morning and throughout the week. I feel like people do not talk about this overwhelming feeling. Recovering from it is what I like to call: rock bottom.

Tragedy happens; it happens. Unfortunately, it’s a part of life. However, nobody deserves to go through it. That gut-wrenching feeling is the worst, and you feel numb, like you’re stuck in a hole, and you can’t find your way out. It hurts so bad you don’t know what is going to happen to yourself and if you will find a way out. This grief is one of a kind and undeniably painful. The most important thing to do is surround yourself with great people who support you, love you, and will always be there for you. Your strength matters and the person who you lost only wants you to rise above and carry you with them every day. You have the power to strengthen your life. With time, you get to choose the life you want to live.

I suggest putting your foot on the brake and slowing down. Look at yourself and ask if you are the best version of yourself and move on from there in baby steps. Coming back from tragic times does not have an instant solution. You will embark on a road to enlightenment and realize success is not linear. 

If you are going through something right now, let me tell you, you will be ok. With time and work, you will heal. 

I would be lying if I said it didn’t take me two years to realize I have made great strides. It takes time.

For someone who has a friend who is healing, be there for them, and have empathy. Recovering from something that knocks you off your feet is hard and personal. 

Be compassionate, be kind and tell people you love them. 

My heart goes out to everyone who is hurting. 

“There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called Yesterday and the other is called Tomorrow. Today is the right day to Love, Believe, Do and mostly Live.”

Dalai Lama XIV

Anna is a senior at Hawaii studying Computer Science specializing in Cyber Security and minoring in Math. She is from Napa Valley, California. She loves focusing on school, health and fitness. When she is not studying, you can catch her working out, at the beach, with family, cuddling with her cats, at a coffee shop eating a lot of food or traveling somewhere off island.
Hawaii Contributor Account