This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

The autumn equinox has just happened, which means that it is officially fall! One of my favorite things about autumn is the “fall flavors” that come into season (as well as all of the delicious food that is seasonally appropriate to make). Every year since I’ve been away from home, I’ve missed my mom’s amazing fall recipes. She makes all of these amazing soups and stews that I really miss. I’ve learned how to make a few soups and things since I’ve been on my own, so I thought I’d share my top five easy fall recipes!

“Fluff and Poco” – A Take on Chicken and Dumpling soup

I found this recipe on TikTok years ago and this soup has been one of my favorites since! I made it for Friendsgiving one year and it was a hit with everyone! This recipe only calls for six ingredients. The hardest part about it is the waiting game you have to play while it cooks, but it’s so worth it!

Chicken Noodle Soup

Chicken noodle soup is a classic comfort recipe that I am sure we all know and love. There are so many different ways to make chicken noodle soup. I love to also include carrot bits in my soup and use spaghetti noodles in my chicken noodle soup.

Oven Roasted Fall Veggies

I love oven roasted vegetables. There are so many fall veggies that are coming into season like squash, pumpkin, potatoes, and carrots. There are so many different ways to prepare an oven-roasted vegetable dish. You can cube or slice the veggies or you could halve them and bake them in the skin. There are so many spice combinations you could use as well to flavor your favorites. I prefer to use potatoes, carrots, and butternut squash for my roasted fall veggies.

Herb Marinated or Herb Crusted Chicken Breasts

I absolutely love herby chicken. During quarantine, my family got really good at making this one herb crusted whole chicken recipe, and I still enjoy making a variation of it for myself. I use chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken, but I use the same herbs and spices to season it. We usually use herbs and spices like basil, oregano, parsley, pepper, sage, rosemary, and paprika, but we also use some lemon juice as well!

Avgolemono – Greek Lemon and Chicken Soup

I have noticed that quite a few of these recipes are soups, but I think that’s because I absolutely love soup in the fall. This soup is one of my newer favorites; my mom found this soup online sometime last year and made it for me when I was flying home for the holidays. If you love lemons, this soup is definitely something you are going to want to try! If you would like to give the recipe my family uses a try, you can find it here.

These are only a few simple recipes that I love during this time of year, but I hope that if you take the time to try making these that you love them as much as I do!

Shae Walker

Hawaii '23

Shae currently studies Communications at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa and is the Campus Correspondent for HCHawai'i. In her spare time, Shae likes to listen to music, hike, and cook.