This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Being a new college student comes with its own challenges, like learning to be alone and how to thrive in this season of singleness which has its own ups and downs, however, it doesn’t have to be depressing. This week I spent time respecting myself, giving me the fabulous woman I am, the respect, needs and desires I want. Throughout this week I challenged myself to do things for myself. 

The first thing that I tried was to get dressed up, put on makeup, and did my favorite hair updo! And in total seriousness, I took myself out on a date. That dress I had been saving for the perfect date? I totally put it on because I know my worth. With my cute self all dolled up I went out and got mani pedis. Now I am accomplishing life with my red raspberry nails. 

After this I was hooked. What more could I do to live a life for me? As a young college student living next to the beach, it has a few benefits, like as far as pricing goes, sunbathing, people watching, reading a good romance novel, and one quick change into my favorite bikini and it’s off to the beach grabbing the cutest cocktail on the way to the water. The best part is that I could leave whenever I wanted and I didn’t even have to talk to anyone (a total introvert’s dream I know). 

Walking. Hear me out – it doesn’t even have to be a long walk. Heck, you could take the bus three blocks away to your favorite coffee shop and walk there. But a girl putting on your favorite playlist and walking like you’re in a musical is definitely a must. I love being able to just escape, walk around and see people.

Lastly, dinner! Now I know what you’re thinking, no one wants to eat alone. Seeing someone eat alone makes me feel almost sad for them. But let me tell you how wrong I was. Going out, where there is no awkward small talk, no one asking me where I want to eat, or why I want to eat at the specific place that I chose. I just went. Nothing fancy, and yes, the waiter did ask me if it was just me eating. But as I sat there, with no pressure from an awkward date or stressing about how I look, it was just me. I didn’t even feel the need to flip through Instagram while waiting for my food. 

Spending time with myself alone and vulnerable has been a rewarding experience this week and I would encourage so many women to go out and try this! 

Hey guys my name is Abby! Currently studying and living in Hawaii as a young aspiring journalist and Psychologist (: Always an advocate for following your dreams and exploring new activities, foods and adventures.