This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

When the New Year starts, I usually make resolutions to lose weight, eat healthier, or to get straight As. However, this 2022 New Year, I decided to change it up and not work on superficial things or trying to be perfect. I decided that this was going to be the year where I love myself and put myself first. So far, I’ve been feeling extremely great and plan on continuing this for a while. Here’s what I’ve been doing:

Forgiving Myself

Everyone makes mistakes and it’s totally okay. So, when I make mistakes like not waking up extra early to do homework or forgetting to do one assignment on MyLab, I tell myself “Yes, that was a mistake. But there is always next time to do and be better.” Being able to forgive myself has been a breath of fresh air. I used to be such a perfectionist and would beat myself up for even the smallest mistakes. By giving myself room to mess up or understanding why I couldn’t do something has helped improve my mental health.

Taking the Time to Take Longer Showers

It’s such a small thing that I do maybe 2x a week, but it genuinely makes me feel happy. My showers usually last 5-10 minutes because I always feel like I’m in a rush and have a million things to do. But since taking time out of my week to take a longer shower, I’ve been able to relax a bit and take care of my body. These longer showers consist of using BOTH shampoo and conditioner and massaging my scalp. I also take the time to really massage my facial cleanser into my skin. The best part of my longer showers is my sugar scrub. I used to think that I would never be able to use “fancy” things like sugar scrubs. But now that I’m loving myself, my skin and I deserve that sweet sugar on me!

Admiring My Body

I be sure to smile when I look at myself in the mirror, even if I don’t 100% love what I see.

I no longer look like how I did in high school. I was 90 pounds and had an unhealthy obsession with working out. But that was years ago, and I acknowledge that I will probably never be able to have that specific body type ever again due to puberty and my body changing. I am not 160 pounds, and I sometimes can’t walk without feeling like the button of my pants is going to pop. But that’s okay! Before moving to the dorms, I lived an extremely stressful life and had multiple illnesses to deal with. My body getting bigger was its way of surviving against what I was dealing with. I now admire every curve and stretch mark on me. I thank my body for taking care of me. And I be sure to smile when I look at myself in the mirror, even if I don’t 100% love what I see.

It has only been 2 months into the New Year, and I have fallen in love with myself so much. My body and mind are spectacular, and I am so grateful that I am able to live with this body. The sugar scrubs and extra hours of sleep are amazing, but nothing will ever beat the feeling of knowing that I am beautiful whether I have exfoliated skin or no eye bags. I hope that as the year progresses, I’ll be able to fall in love with myself 10000x more.

Aloha everyone! I'm Mary Joy, born and raised on the island of O'ahu. I'm a senior majoring in Business Management. On my free time, I enjoy finding new places to eat, spending time with friends, and taking naps :) I enjoy writing for HerCampus and showing everyone what I love about the island!