This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

If you’re reading this right now, you might be putting off some assignment or task you really should be doing instead. Procrastination is something we are all guilty of from time to time, some of us more than others. The longer you put off a task, the more intimidating it will seem as the deadline creeps up on you. True, some of us work better with the pressure of an looming deadline; it can light that fire under your a** that you need to get sh*t done. But, in the long run, learning to manage your time, your workload, and avoiding long term procrastination are going to be some great skills to have.

Procrastination ends up causing more stress than it’s worth. Sometimes it might be worth putting off an assignment until you have the necessary tools to complete it, but other times it ends up becoming a preoccupying weight on your mind. If you’re a chronic procrastinator, or just want to experiment with some good time management skills, here are a few things you might try out:

1. Break up the Big Things

A lot of problems will seem much more overwhelming if you think of them as a whole. Instead, try breaking up large tasks into lots of smaller ones. Focus your energy on one little bit at a time. For example: if you have an essay to write, focus on getting an outline or general idea for the paper down first. Then, write your thesis statement or introduction (I also find it helps to write your conclusion at this time so you have a nice framework for your essay). From there, you can break down the essay into one body paragraph at a time, and then you’re done before you know it! Remember to give yourself time in between the smaller tasks so that they don’t become overbearing. Lots of little breaks while working will give your brain time to recharge, and will also help relieve the weight of large, overwhelming assignments.

2. The Five Minute Rule

This is an especially helpful rule for the chronic procrastinators out there. If there is something on your to-do list that you can make even a little bit of progress on in the next five minutes, just do it. Sometimes it’s the little things that add up over time and give us the worst headaches. If there is something small you can get out of the way in the next few minutes (take out the trash, brainstorm ideas for a project, send an email, etc.) then just get it over with!

3. The Power Hour

This one is similar to the Five Minute Rule, but for when you have a little more time on yours hands. I had a professor last year who taught me that you should put aside an hour every day or so to focus on what’s important to you, be it schoolwork, general adulting duties, or some personal hobby or task. A so-called “Power Hour” involves putting aside all distractions for just one hour of the day and banging out whatever work needs doing. The “Power Hour” is best broken up into smaller chunks of time, say 15-20 minutes, with short breaks in between so you don’t burn out.

4. Prioritize

What needs doing right now? What can wait until later? When you have a lot on your list, it’s good to be able to recognize what needs your immediate attention. Once you put a dent in the most urgent tasks, you can start to put a little brain power towards the things with later deadlines. Remember to focus your energy on one little task at a time to allow yourself to do your best work.

5. Forgive, But Don’t Forget

Research has shown that if you don’t beat yourself up over past procrastination, you’ll be better able to correct the behavior. When did dwelling on the past do us any good anyway? If you focus on making positive changes now, rather than kicking yourself over your past bad habits, you’ll be much more likely to overcome procrastination. This is good place to practice a little extra self-love.

I know a lot of this is easier said than done, and obviously it takes time to build new, better habits, but give some of these a try next time you find yourself falling back into the old routine. Take this as a sign; do one little thing on your list right now! Sometimes all it takes is a little push to get the ball rolling on something good.

Bridget is an English major with a passion for good story-telling. A Bay Area native, she loves hiking, swimming, camping, and especially napping. She splits most of her time between coaching the YMCA swim team, working her restaurant job, keeping up with school, and hanging out with friends... but her favorite evenings are spent with a good wine and a better book.
Lena is a student at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa. She is pursuing a Communciations degree with a focus in Digital Media, as well as dual minors in Business and English. In her free time, she loves being president of her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and snorkeling on the weekends!