The Benefits of Being a Morning Person in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

It’s easy to be a night owl in college, especially when it seems like there are people up at all hours. Here are six reasons why being a morning person in college can benefit you.

1. For starters, while the rest of campus is sleeping, you get the first-hand view of some incredible sunrises. Seriously, what’s better than looking up at the palms while you make your way to class under a purple and orange sky? I used to only acknowledge them during finals week, but I try and make it a habit to see them at least once during the week before class!

2. You don’t have to fight any of your roommate’s to use the bathroom. That in and of itself is a gift. Could probably be number one if you’re not a sunrise kind of girl.

3. The coffee tastes that much sweeter. No, really, whether its an iced caramel macchiato or a warm pumpkin spice latte, I guarantee you that the coffee tastes better in the morning. Your barista may not see eye-to-eye with me on this, but just take my word on it.

4. The people in your class might look tired, could still be half asleep sometimes, but odds are they’re the people who want to be there. Well, sometimes want to be there…

5. The sooner you have class the sooner you finish…right? At least here in Hawaii, I’ll take all of the morning classes if it means I can go to the beach before 3 pm.

6. Nothing beats the peaceful, quiet sounds of campus in the mornings. It might suck going to bed to the sound of your neighbors still playing video games but, at least when you wake up, all there is are you and the birds.

Aislinn is a junior at the University of Hawaii double majoring in Chinese language and political science. Originally from Denver, her love for the ocean and hiking led to her studying in Hawaii, where she now enjoys taking advantage of everything the island offers. If she's not sunbathing on the beach, listening to new music, or exploring all of downtown Honolulu, you'll most likely catch her writing for her own blog, My HI Life. Check is out here: https://aboutmyhilife.blogspot.com
Hawaii Contributor Account