Wellness

8 Unique Ways to Be There For Your Loved One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

The past few years have been really hard on all of us, mentally and physically, but it’s important that we are there to support our friends and family. It’s so easy to brush past mental health but it is just as important as your physical health.

With that being said, have you ever thought about checking up on a friend but you didn’t want to be too pushy or annoying? Here are eight things you can do to show you care without feeling like you’re being overbearing to your loved one.

Text them and say, “I just want to let you know, I’m always here for you if you need me.”

Saying this puts the ball in their court. If they want to reach out to talk, they know they have the option to, even if they’re not ready yet.

Effort: 1/5

Stop by the grocery store to pick up their favorite snack.

Who doesn’t love snacks? You could pick up their favorite and drop it off at their place. If you don’t live close, you can mail a little snack care package.

Effort: 3/5

Plan a surprise activity for the both of you.
Picnic Donuts
Amy Cho / Spoon

Let your loved one know to block off their calendar for a certain afternoon or night and then make a reservation for dinner, take them to a park for a picnic, or plan a movie night without telling them what you’re doing.

Effort: 5/5

Send them a postcard or handwritten letter.

Go to your local drugstore or grocery store, pick out a card or postcard, and send it off (even if you live close by). This activity shows that you’re really thinking about them and meaningly put thought into picking out a card that they would like.

Effort: 3/5

Call or FaceTime them.

We are always texting, but it’s nice to receive an actual phone call once in a while, even if you only talk for 10 minutes.

Effort: 2/5

Post a photo on social media of you two.
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

This shows that you were thinking of them and value the memories you have with them.

Effort: 2/5

Plan a weekly book club with them.

This can help them get their mind off of things, while also getting to read a good book.

Effort: 4/5

Cook them a meal at home.
Cook Pasta
Alex Frank / Spoon

Sometimes when people are stressed or sad, they might not want to cook for themselves. Ask if you can come over or if they want to come over so you can make them a homemade meal. If they don’t live nearby, you can order UberEats or Postmates to their house.

Effort: 5/5

You don’t always need to ask direct questions, but just getting the conversation started around mental health and feelings is always a good thing.

Aloha! My name is Keilyn and I am a Graduate Student studying Public Health at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa. I enjoy going to the beach, reading mystery books, cooking, and playing with my puppy, Kaiba! I love being on the HER Campus Hawaii Team and sharing my stories!