Wellness > Health

3 Best Alcohols to Stay Toned and Tipsy this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

We’ve all been told that when you’re trying to stay in shape, don’t drink your calories. But, it doesn’t mean that we can’t indulge in a drink (or five) every now and then. The key is knowing which drinks are the best options in terms of your overall fitness goals as well as your overall health!

Champagne is known as Hollywood’s drink because its low calorie, but unless I’m popping a bottle, I’m not gonna be drinking champagne just chillin at home. So here are the top 3 “most healthy” summer drinks to keep you tipsy and toned.

1. Tequilaaa

Tequila is the ultimate summer liquor! While I’m out on a warm summer night, I’ll never order a shot other than tequila. Now before you think back to the one night that made you flinch at the thought of it, you might want to consider the health benefits that make it known as one of the purest liquors in the world.

Not every tequila is made the same, colorless tequila made with pure agave is the bottle you’re searching for. Tequila contains agavina, which is a sugar from the agave plant that triggers insulin production in the blood and therefore, aids in lowering blood sugar and cholesterol. Moreover, these agavins aid in weight loss because they are non-digestible sugars and produce the hormone GLP-1, which is known to curb cravings by keeping the stomach fuller, longer! Other health benefits of tequila are that it is a digestive aid, a prebiotic nourishing the good bacteria in your body, the fructans within agave promote bone health and it is gluten free :)

Toned and Tipsy Drink Suggestions: NorCal Margarita, Agave Margarita, Tequila Spritzers with Grapefruit Juice, Tequila Bloody Maria

2. Whiskey

Whiskey isn’t for everybody, but those who don’t like it are missing out. Although any alcohol can be deadly in excess, whiskey has been known as a good drink for those aiming for a healthier diet.

Whiskey has no fat, no carbs and a minimal amount of sugar. As such, this makes it a good drink for those with diabetes as it barely influences blood glucose levels. It’s also gluten free due to the distillation process. Also if you find yourself sick this summer, whiskey has been known to help the common cold! According to Dr. William Schaffner, the Chairman of Preventive Medicine at Vanderbilt University, alcohol dilates blood vessels making it easier for our mucus membranes to deal with infection. Try it out and mix whiskey, hot water, lemon and honey!

Toned and Tipsy Drink Suggestions: Smokey Old Fashioned, Manhattan, Hot Toddy

3. Red Wine

Simple and savory, red wine is best to me when it’s the end of a summer day, you’re relaxing by the fire with your friends and fam and you just want something good to sip on. Plus, getting wine drunk with my mom is probably one of the cutest things ever.

There are tons of health benefits to red wine. To start, it is known to have flavonoids, which inhibit the oxidation of LDL (Low-Density Lipoprotein), better known as bad cholesterol. It’s also known to have resveratrol, a polyphenolic antioxidant, which comes from the skin of the grapes. Resveratrol has loads of benefits including anti-inflammatory properties, the ability to boost cardiovascular health and help treat acne!  

Toned and Tipsy Drink Suggestions: Any good red wine you can find!

There are a million ways to drink while still working on your fitness goals, the number one thing is drinking in moderation. Enjoy this summer, drink that glass of wine and remember what you’re working towards!

I grew up in Long Beach, California and made my way to Oahu to achieve my degree in Kinesiology at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. I plan to pursue a career in the sports medicine field as either an athletic trainer, sport performance trainer or to work within the fitness tech industry. I have an overwhelming passion for fitness and health, playing competitive sports throughout my life has instilled the importance of one's physical and emotional well-being and fueled my desire to study and practice healthy living in my everyday life. I am president of my sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and one of my main goals is to ensure each one of my sisters is healthy mentally and emotionally throughout their college experience. Outside of my sorority, that's equally my goal in writing this column for you guys. There is so much importance in remembering to put your physical and mental health first and my hope is that my writing can help instill that into each of your lives as well!