This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

If you haven’t already caught a case of the flu, then this article might be key to your immunity for the rest of the season. If you did already get sick, read on to avoid a second or third time.  Use University resources, including HUHS. Regardless of whether you have the student health insurance through Harvard, you pay a fee that allows you a variety on HUHS benefits, including cold packs. Cold packs contain a bunch of medicines including throat lozenges, pain relievers, and allergy medicine. They’re $0.00 = a win.

 Get fresh air, even if it’s cold outside. One reason people get more sick in the winter is actually because of the higher rate of circulating germs and etcetera. Getting less fresh air in the winter only raises your chances of getting sick. So, take walks and maybe crack a window.

 Don’t be afraid of being rude by taking precautions around sick people. Seriously, what’s worth more? If you’re afraid to distance yourself from someone sick, for example, don’t feel bad. They probably understand! If they don’t, shame. It never hurts to give an explanation for your distance, and if doing this makes you feel better or nicer, go for it!

Best of luck to you! 

lifestyle - beauty/hair - food
Audrey Thorne

Harvard '19

Audrey is a Senior in Pforzheimer house. She likes writing, adventure, Tatte, and doing things ironically it's no longer ironic. She's also Co-Campus Coordinator of the Her Campus Harvard branch.