This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As we begin the new year and get farther into the winter season, we must continue to prioritize our physical and mental wellness. Winter can often feel slow and we tend to be a little bit more to ourselves as the days get colder and staying inside feels cozier. Regardless of what this winter season holds for you, here are some tips to help you remember to take care of yourself:

Stay Active

As the temperature drops sometimes the motivation to get up and move does too. Who wants to go out in 30-degree weather? It’s important to remember to still keep your body moving and get out and get a good amount of fresh air for your physical well-being as well as your mental health.

Check In With Yourself

We’ve all heard of seasonal depression and though some people may not feel the effects of the season change on their mental health the same as others, the simple reduction in going out, cold temperatures, and early sunsets can have an impact on how you’re feeling. You should prioritize taking time to check in with yourself to feel like the best version of yourself. Whether that be journaling, talking to family and friends, or just simply taking a day to yourself; placing a focus on your mental health during this time can make a big difference and help you to stay grounded.

Take Special Care of Your Body

The cold weather can sometimes take a toll on your physical health. It can make you more prone to sickness and dry your skin out. It’s crucial to bundle up and stay warm as well as develop an intensely hydrating skincare routine to avoid dryness and irritation. Whether that be adding an extra moisturizer, (or two) or whatever you need to do to protect your skin from the harsh temperatures. 

Get Cozy and Relax

Typically during the winter time, people go out less and spend a lot more time inside. This can be helpful to your wellness by allowing you to just relax and take things slow. It can be a nice reset and can help you to ease some of the stress you may have. So get yourself a nice warm blanket, put on your favorite show, and let yourself take a break.

Even though it’s cold outside and it gets dark as early as 4:30 in the winter, these tips can help you enjoy this season a little more and allow you to take time to anchor your wellness.

Chelsea Couch

Hampton U '25

Chelsea Couch is a dedicated and insightful article writer with a strong academic foundation in Sociology. Her writing journey is marked by a fervent passion for exploring a diverse range of topics, including mental health, women's health, beauty, entertainment, college life, and social justice issues. Chelsea's in-depth understanding of Sociology, coupled with her knack for crafting engaging narratives, allows her to delve into these subjects with a unique perspective that resonates with readers. With an unwavering commitment to shedding light on important societal matters and a talent for weaving compelling stories, Chelsea strives to write articles that are informative, thought-provoking, and most of all have fun.