This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

We all know that last February Michael B. Jordan killed his role as Killmonger in the groundbreaking movie, Black Panther. We also know that he is extremely attractive… (am I right ladies?) But what we Jordan fans may not know, is that he had to go to therapy before hitting the big screen again.

Source: The New Yorker

On an episode of “The Bill Simmons Podcast,” Jordan explained everything. He confessed that he had never played such a dark and lonely character for such an extensive amount of time. Killmonger harbored a lot of pain and anger. Those negative emotions seeped into Jordan’s psyche.

“I found myself kind of in the routine of being isolated and went out of my way to make sure I was by myself and didn’t say too much more than the usual,” he said. “Once I got finished wrapping the movie, it took me some time to talk through how I was feeling and why I was feeling so sad and like a little bit depressed.”

Source: Page Six

If you’ve seen him recently in Creed II, you know Jordan puts 100% into every character he plays. For Killmonger, that meant that “whatever got [him] emotionally to the place [he] needed to be, that’s what [he] did.” But he didn’t realize what was happening. He told Simmons: “It was one of those things that I didn’t know what was going on,”  coming out of it, I thought, “Oh yeah, business as usual. I can just go back home, I’ll cut my hair off, and everything will be back to normal.”

Source: E! News

Sadly, that was not the case. According to Business Insider, it took Jordan several therapy sessions and about a month to work past the issues.There is absolutely no shame in going to therapy. By admitting that he did, Jordan helped tear down the stigma surrounding it. Hopefully this will encourage people, especially black males, to take care of their mental health. It’s important! Ladies, your celebrity crush just got ten times hotter. Michael B. Jordan takes care of his mental health and isn’t afraid to say so.

Cassie Herring

Hampton U '21

Cassie Herring is a graduating Senior English major from Woodbridge, Virginia. She is the current Senior Editor of Hampton University's HC Chapter. She is also a Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellow and Co-President of Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society. In her free time, she can be found writing poetry or listening to R&B. In the future, Cassie plans to earn her PhD and teach the collegiate level to empower the next generation of leaders.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com