This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

A few weeks ago Tory Lanez released a new album continuing his episodic Chixtape series throwin’ it all the way back to the early 2000s. Available on all streaming platforms, the album includes 18 songs with amazing features such as Ludacris,The-Dream, Mario, and even Snoop Dogg. Tory seemed to have dropped this project at the perfect time, it was everything we’ve ever wanted.

Of course it wasn’t enough for him just to sample our favorite throwbacks, he figured it was only right to get the original artists on the remix, too. Ashanti reworks one of her greatest anthems “Foolish” and transforms it into “A Fool’s Tale” which was a masterpiece. Chris Brown hops in on a new rendition of an all time favorite, “Take You Down”, creating, “The Take”, and we were all surprised to hear Weezy F Baby on a track but as usual he killed it and surpassed all expectations. Lastly, in order to get the real nostalgic feel of 2000s music, Tory even got artists like Jagged Edge and 112 to remix songs that some of us may have been conceived to. 

Chixtape 5 is a continued story of boy-meets-girl and girl-then-breaks-boys-heart. We learn about the strange love triangle going on between Leah, Tory, and Jalissa. Listening to the album from start to finish takes you on an emotional rollercoaster having us everywhere from in our feelings, to twerking in front of the mirror, to calling our exes and telling them we’re sorry for something that we didn’t even do. 

One element I love about this album is that its universal. Obviously Tory is singing from a males perspective, however, this is the perfect album to get lit with your girlfriends. Moreover, it is just the right album for a guy to rant about how some girl supposedly broke his heart. 

Overall, the album was a  great follow-up to Summer Walker’s Over It, I easily give this a 10/10. This brilliant work will definitely be on repeat for a while and carry us strong into 2020.

Hey beautiful people! I am Madison Williams, second-year Journalism major from Dallas, Texas and I am studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I love to use writing as my creative outlet and I am so happy to be apart of HerCampus so I can put my writing skills to good use!
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!