This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Well, it’s 2020 y’all. At this point most of us are either in school, getting ready to graduate, or working jobs. In between the everyday hustle of life, we all need to take a moment to just breathe and let our minds not be overrun with stress. Here are a couple of ways to stimulate your mind this 2020. It may seem like a waste of time when you could be doing work, but finding little ways to stimulate your mind outside of a workspace is an important part of self-care!

1. Read a book for fun!

I know it sounds crazy, right? Like, when was the last time you read a book that wasn’t for class? However, it is important to find something to read that takes your mind off of work. And, no, I do not mean scrolling through IG and reading the ShadeRoom. I mean picking up a physical book. It can be fiction or nonfiction. If you’re having trouble knowing where to even begin, try thinking back to a time where you read a book for class and enjoyed it. Try searching for books like that. Additionally, so many people put out book lists or run a book club, like the rapper Noname. Finding a way to escape from life by diving into a book is a great way to stimulate your mind.

2. By a house plant

Who would’ve thought that you would become a parent so early in the decade?? But for real, being a mother to houseplants is a great way to stimulate your mind. There are plants out there that don’t require a lot of maintenance, like succulents. Other scented plants, like lavender, will have your room smelling good. No matter what plant you choose, studies have shown that having a house plant boosts memory, increase accuracy, increase happiness, and just may help with a relationship. There are great affordable options for everyone to start their own plant family.

3. Take a nap

OK, this is something probably most of us do anyway, but taking naps are beneficial. It is important to recharge our body, but just be mindful of why and how you’re doing it. Don’t take naps as a substitute for getting 7-9 hours of sleep at night. Also, naps should be limited to around 90 minutes for the most effective naps. Giving your body a chance to shut down and recharge will help your mind be able to complete more tasks.

4. Start a garden

For the people who have space, starting a little patio garden is a great way to stimulate your mind. Gardens give you a chance to focus on cultivating something and watching it grow. As house plants, gardens offer the same benefits. From your patio or windowsill alone, you can grow herbs and spices like oregano, basil, and peppermint. So not only will your mind be stimulating, but you’ll be growing good stuff that you can cook with as well (a win-win in my book).

5. Listen to a podcast

It’s pretty common for everyone to be  staring at our electronic screens for far too long. Listening to a podcast is a great compromise between watching TV or reading a book. There are so many podcasts to listen to, from comedy sketches to relationships to murder mysteries. Try listening to a podcast on the way to work/school to come into those spaces a little less stressed out.

6. Pick up a hobby

When I ask my friends what hobbies they like to do in their free time, a lot of the time they can’t give me an answer. I understand how hard it is to pick up and continue a hobby when you have other things on your plate, but having something to turn to when your brain is exhausted is a must. Try cooking, baking, crocheting, painting, journaling, sudoku, word searches, even making wigs. Do something that requires you to put in some effort but you enjoy it.

7. Do a little exercise

Exercise, Exercise, Exercise. Whether you love it or hate, we must get a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise every day. Exercise helps relieve tension and stress that you may not know you’re holding onto. It doesn’t have to be a full gym workout, but you have to get up and move your body. Try a dance class, hot yoga, a HIIT workout, or play a sport. People who exercise regularly have been proven to be more productive, happy, and able to concentrate better. So, exercise your body so that you can stimulate your mind!

I hope this list helps inspire you to stimulate your mind in 2020!

Camryn Johnson

Hampton U '22

Camryn Johnson is a sophomore English major with a film concentration, journalism minor, from Atlanta, Georgia. In her free time, she loves to read, watch movies, hang out with friends, and cook. P.S. If you're lucky, she'll even bake you a cake for your birthday (a blessing fyi)
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.