This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

“Energy is too expensive. We’re not giving that up for free this year.”

Soft Life

This year is a self-year. That’s what feels right, that’s what feels best. It’s time to claim it, it’s time to manifest this for yourself. A soft life is a life full of clarity, peace, and internal happiness. This life is a struggle and stress-free life. Everything that is aligned for you will begin to fall into place and everything that you want wants you too. We are now looking for reciprocation. We want mutual relationships in every aspect, friendships, relationships, etc. Clarity will soon become your best friend in every aspect, so it might be time to leave those meaningless situation-ships, friendships, and unhealthy lifestyles alone.

Being Selfish

It’s about that time! This is something that we have all been taught is wrong and should not be a character trait we practice. Being selfish is an action that was forbidden as we grew up, but now is the time to be selfish. It is time to make yourself your number one priority. Now is the time to take all of the energy that you have put into meaningless situations and pour it back into yourself. It’s okay to put yourself first, sis. It’s time to focus on yourself, even if that means leaving a long-term relationship, taking a social media cleanse, or even distancing yourself from friends. Your energy is very expensive, you must protect it. Be selfish with your energy and your peace.

Energy is too expensive. We’re not giving that up for free this year. as you move forward and claim this idea of a “soft” life for yourself, you have to protect your energy. You have to turn all negative energy into positive. This might cause you to make some changes in your life and once again cause you to be selfish. Distancing yourself from those that do not feel right or are not aligned with you. This is all about putting you first and making you a priority.

Take care of yourself

Stop being mean to yourself. We all do it and don’t sit here and act like you don’t. How many times have you looked back on an experience and realized how much you have mistreated yourself? A soft life is all about comfort. It’s about removing anything from your circle that is putting your peace or comfort in jeopardy. Practice more words of affirmation and give to yourself more than you take away. Everything is a trial-and-error experience. I understand that you may have passions, and as humans, we are our own worst critics, but that’s not loving yourself. We want our happiness to start from within. We want to be able to say that “my happiness is intentional” and then maintain it. Nothing else matters.

Taking care of yourself also involves practicing mindfulness. Mindfulness can involve all things that put your mind at ease. This may include praying, meditating, or going on a nature walk. Days can become overwhelming; break-ups, a bad pimple, or even a bad hair day. Living is hard, which is why it is important to take a few minutes out of your day and give your mind a break All of these things are how you take care of yourself. It all contributes to how you want to live. Don’t make life hard on yourself make it soft!.

Don’t get me wrong, you will have a few bumps in the road and a few tomatoes will be thrown but this is all a work in progress. Sometimes we operate on highs and lows, and that’s fine. You don’t have to have it all figured out every day and you don’t have to be in the best mood every day. However, continue this journey and you will begin to reclaim the true version of yourself. Remember the world is yours, we’re just living in it! This is about you! This is your life, and it will be a “soft” one.

Destini Cheek

Hampton U '23

Hi, My name is Destini and I am a third year Psychology major at Hampton University.