jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Second Semester Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As winter break comes to an end, people are either really eager to start the new semester or getting borderline depressed just thinking about school. Being at home with family is essential to bringing peace to one’s mind. Whether it’s going out shopping with your Mom or going to the movies with your sister, being with your family can put you at ease. When you’re at School especially if you go to a School that is far away from you home, you miss out on a lot of family events. Personally I live so far away from Hampton that I can only go home for Summer, Thanksgiving, Christmas and of course Spring Break. This may seem like a lot, but when you have an extremely close knit family like myself, you miss out on a lot of things. My family celebrates every holiday at my house so when I would see them together during certain holidays without me I would definitely “get in my feelings.” So the month I spend at home before 2nd semester never seems like enough time.

As I approached campus on Sunday January 10th , I was already sad leaving my family. On top of that I wasn’t financially cleared yet, so I couldn’t even move into my dorm. Therefor I had to spend the night with my friend in the Harbors, and had to live out of my suitcase for 2 days. That is enough drama to make a person want to go back home.

As everything came back together at school I reminded myself that I was at school for an education and had to continue on because my family would always be there and wanted to see me do well. The 2nd semester hit me as it does many people, but all things start with a thought negative and positive, so I decided to think positive and became happier. Good to luck everyone for start of your second semester, and don’t let the second semester blues get you down!

Taylor White, a Public Relations major, Matketing minor from Aurora, Il.
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.