This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Goals, resolutions, habits. As these words heavily circulate and another new year approaches, there is typically undeniable stress in the air. Constant talk about changing, new beginnings, and fresh starts circulate. It can easily become overwhelming. Suddenly, it seems like everyone is getting gym memberships and decluttering the different aspects of their lives and trying to do it all feels unattainable. This has been a cycle every year, and each time it gets a little more nerve-wracking.

Trying to get rid of negative people, lose 20 pounds, become a vegetarian, go to sleep at 10 o’clock, and stop procrastinating all at once will consistently end in failure. This unrealistic practice brings to mind a famous quote from my mom, “if the same thing is not working, try something else this time.” As plain as the statement is, there is so much truth in it. Big goals provide hope and optimism and those connotations make it easy to cling to the idea of a goal and cling to the desired path to reach that goal. However, life is relentlessly trying to bring everyone to an important ‘revelation.’

The big revelation: it feels unattainable because it is unrealistic. 

The pressure from social media and TV to make a plethora of goals and resolutions so this year can be “different” is good in theory, but it is too good to be true. Progress and success are not an overnight miracle. Time and time again, the people who live our dream lives and work our dream jobs preach that they had to slowly work hard to form healthy habits, and eventually, they made it. 

Persistently working hard to be better and do better will always be rewarding, even if the reward was not the expected outcome. Oftentimes, the unexpected outcome is better than the one in mind.

Deep down everyone knows the new year is just another day, but there is this joy in the idea of a clean slate that is contagious. Everyone longs for a fresh start and the desire to make a change is relatable. However, it is important to be honest with yourself and be realistic with where you are because goals are not impossible to reach, but truth must be faced to get to them. The truth may be that this is your year to get more rest or to learn how to be alone and although those things do not always feel as magnificent as traveling the world, it is still a stepping stone to the big picture.

The truth is, a new year does not have to be the start of something groundbreaking and life-altering. It can just be another year and adopting that belief can become one of the greatest revelations ever.

I am Calyx Stover! A junior journalism major from Boiling Springs, South Carolina attending Hampton University. I love a good girl gang and HerCampus is the premier gang to join. I am excited to share my work and collaborate in the multimedia world.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.