Wellness

No Sleep November: 5 Things to do this month to Stay as Productive as Possible

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

November not only is the time to vote and choose what outfits we’re going to wear to the dinner table, but it also symbolizes the beginning of the new moon in Scorpio, which is known as a time for complete transformation of ourselves. Consider it the universe’s gift of new beginnings and fresh starts a few weeks before the new year. Your favorite writers ar HerCampus are giving you 5 tips to stay in your bag way before the new year!

1. Wake up at least 15 minutes earlier.

No sleep November, right?! Challenge yourself to wake up at least 15 minutes earlier to make your mornings more intentional. Kick an extra goal off of your to-do list, or take the time to do a face mask in the name of clear skin and self-care. You owe it to yourself to be your best self, and this begins the minute we open our eyes in the morning.

2. Disable all distractions that have a monitor attached to them in the morning.

Cell Phones, laptops, TVs, iPads, Kindle Readers- EVERYTHING MUST GO! A hard pill to swallow, but computers and cellphones are extremely distracting and counteract productivity. A challenge: when you first wake up, try not to look at anything on a screen for the first 30 minutes for an hour for a week and watch how your life changes for the better.

3. Turn up to the songs you don’t know.

It is no secret that the right playlist helps with increasing productivity. Studies show that instrumental or music with lyrics you don’t recognize will help in increasing productiveness. You’re not singing along to the lyrics so you are focusing more on your tasks, and the music fades into the background noise. Turn on that album or your playlist that you barely listen in your library to and get the job done! Here’s my favorite playlist:

4. Switch out shorter naps for more sleep at night.

No sleep November doesn’t mean staying up all night to get things done and then find free time to take a nap during the day. Instead of counting the minutes, make every minute count. Just 25 minutes of sleep will give you more energy than a cup of coffee or tea and loud music. Turn your alarm volume up to the highest setting and lie down for 20 to 25 minutes. You may still feel a little tired when you first wake up, but stretch for a second and get back into the groove of working. I promise, you’ll feel refreshed.

5. Get active.

In the morning, take a short stroll outside, or do a quick workout. Jumping jacks, push-ups and sit ups will help you stay awake and productive. Try to see how many you can do in a minute to get your blood pumping and your heart rate up. Not only will this help you get a head-start on the spring break body challenge, but you’ll also be more energized and ready to work.

Earlier this year, I started doing my research about New Moon cleanses, and this month I am participating in Danielle Ayoka’s Scorpio New Moon Cleanse. This November, I am shedding old layers that hold me back from living my best life and working to my fullest potential. After I wrote down my intentions and affirmations for the rest of the year, I decided to make a vision board to help me focus on my goals subconsciously. What are some things your doing this November to finish 2018 off strong?

Miracle Bailey

Hampton U '20

Miracle Bailey is a Junior, strategic communications major from Detroit. She's a foodie, lover of music and a plant mother of two lovely succulents. Follow her on IG & Twitter @1miraclebailey
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com