This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Happy New Year! We did it. The year 2019 was an eventful year, to say the least. We laughed, we cried and most importantly we learned. 2019 was a year of lessons and enlightenment. Although it is important to take what we learned last year and apply it to this year, it is important to understand that you are amazing just the way you are. 

New year resolutions are a perfect way to set goals and establish the right mindset for the year. A new year resolution could include losing weight or eating healthier, cutting toxic ties, changing study habits, and more. These are good ways to make sure you are bettering, not changing yourself in the new year. At our age, no one should want to stay stagnant. It’s healthy to seek improvement and want to push yourself to do so. With that being said, while trying to stay consistent with your new years’ resolutions, remember to stay true to yourself. 

For years we’ve heard the infamous saying “New year, new me”. But do we actually ever change? More than likely no. New year resolutions should be looked at as suggestions to improve. You should never feel like you are under pressure to change. As women, we need to change how we assess ourselves. 

Change the way you word your new year resolutions. Try to make them more affirmational and less critiquing. For example, change “I need to lose weight” to “I deserve to be in better shape” or “I need to stop procrastinating” to “I deserve to manage my time better”. The way we talk to ourselves matters. You were amazing in 2019 and you will be amazing in 2020. Don’t let your New Year Resolutions tell you otherwise.

Taylor Cooper

Hampton U '23

My name is Taylor Cooper. I’m a psychology major from St. Petersburg, Florida. I’m blessed with the opportunity to attend The Illustrious Hampton University as an incoming freshman. As a military child, I’ve been able to live all over the world. I’m very appreciative of the experiences I’ve had, and those to come.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!