My Experience Traveling During a Global Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Since March 2020, I have taken six trips and traveled across the country while being in a global pandemic. One thing I was not allowing was Mrs. Rona stopping me from living my best life, but I always did take precautions and was overly precautious. Traveling and being in the airport was and is now a totally different experience for me.

Before Corona, I did not mind being in the airport and would actually be comfortable there. I would eat, sleep, and maneuver comfortably in the airport with no problem. But after Corona, I can’t even sit comfortably in my seat in the airport or in the airplane. I felt like everything around me was infested with germs and I did not want to be touched by anything. My whole airport routine has changed drastically this past year. I no longer eat at the airport, use the restroom unless I really have to, and I stay in my seat until it is time to board the aircraft.

Even though I was not allowing Mrs. Rona to ruin my traveling experience, she did open my eyes when it comes to germs and being exposed to germs. I look at everything differently now and make sure to take all precautions. I double up on masks, wipe down all surfaces, always keep my gloves on and keep hand sanitizer on me at all times. Even when it comes to being around people, I make sure to social distance because honestly, the thought of other people and their germs disgust me.

The coronavirus has really been an eye opener for me and has allowed me to see a lot of things in a different light. The virus has allowed me to care even more about my health and stay sanitized even if I am sitting just waiting to catch a flight. Like I said before, Mrs. Rona is not going to stop my life, but she has made me take life more seriously when it comes to my health and other people’s health. 

LaRyn Claridy

Hampton U '23

Hi! My name is LaRyn Claridy I am second year at the illustrious Hampton University. I am a strategic communication major with an area of emphasis in law from Chattanooga, Tennessee. I enjoy making memories with my family and friends, exploring the latest fashion trends, and I enjoy connecting with other people in a social setting. I am so excited to be apart of Her Campus and I look forward to this next year and what it brings.
Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.