Mental Health Struggles and Coping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Mental Health is something that should be held near and dear to every human. However, it is greatly overlooked. Since one cannot physically see when there is a malfunction in the mind, it is usually dismissed. When an individual expresses that they are depressed, lonely, stressed, suffering from anxiety, and so much more, another might claim they are just being dramatic. On the other hand, if one has a broken wrist or ankle, they will be taken more seriously because the other person will be able to see the physical injury. It’s unfair, but it’s reality. This article is for everyone who silently suffers with mental struggles and is learning how to cope with it.

First and foremost, it needs to be known that the negative voices in your head are liars. Whatever negative thoughts those voices are trying to sell, DO NOT BUY THEM. After experiences with negative voices myself and hearing others’ stories, it’s definitely not easy to push them aside. I realized it takes patience and practice. Every day, every hour, every minute, be persistent. Constantly viewing the negative side of things can be very dangerous because it can easily become overpowering and take over your entire life. Whatever you put out into the world, you get back. Therefore, if you express negativity, negativity will come back to you. Fight the voices and be positive!

Second, the people you surround yourself with make a huge impact. Dealing with mental illnesses is a battle with yourself. Your mind will try to convince you, you are lesser than. Your mind will turn against you and try to break you down in any way. It is important to have people around you who make you a priority, show they care, and are positive. The saying, “you are who you surround yourself with” is very true. Not only is your mind belittling you, but if you have people around you who are treating you as such, THAT’S. NOT. HEALTHY. This isn’t necessarily advice to start separating yourself from everyone you associate with, but make sure the people closest to you are aware of your emotions and are considerate of your emotions.

Lastly, the hardest coping method of them all is to get help. This is identified as one of the most difficult things to do because usually mental illness victims are hesitant to get help as if it’s some sort of confirmation that they are crazy. I promise you, you aren’t. When dealing with issues like these, it’s important to embrace what you’re going through. Following that, help yourself. It will take time and patience, and it will be uncomfortable at first, but as time goes on, the dark cloud that’s been hanging over your head will get lighter and lighter, and it’s the best feeling in the world.

For anyone dealing with any type of mental issues, you are not alone, you are strong, you are powerful, and you are beautiful. Do not let those voices (a.k.a liars) in your head tell you otherwise. Face, embrace, and overtake.

Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.