This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

When it comes to the topic of mental health immediately for some of us, we think about the white community who suffers the most. According to psychiatry.org, one-in-three African Americans who need mental health services receives it. Did this come as a shocker to you? Well, it shouldn’t have. As a black community we tend to struggle with the thought of opening up about any mental health issues. “Why?” you ask. Well for many of us we are told that what we may be feeling can be considered as over exaggerating or even that we should “brush it under the rug.” For Black men especially, they are told that opening up about things like depression, suicide thoughts, and even anxiety, could be seen as a sign of weakness.  

In a lot of urban, black neighborhoods and communities mental illness facilities and programs are not as available as they should be. For lack of money and resources in general, we aren’t as fortunate. The gun-violence and killings in the black community is a large risk factor for individuals to become mentally ill. Individuals who even witness and/or loose people in their lives due to violence become more prone to mental illness. That return manifests into traumatic stress disorders and depression.

TAKE CONTROL, IT’S YOUR LIFE

We know many celebrities have even struggled with mental illness. People like Phor from Black Ink Crew Chicago, Alicia Keys, DMX, and more. A lot of them will explain their stories as them feeling alone and burying their feelings. Those are things you can’t do. Many people will tell you, YOU NEED PEOPLE BY YOUR SIDE. There is nothing to be ashamed of and YOU ARE WORTH SOMETHING AND YOU ARE MEANT TO BE ON THIS EARTH! Your life is valuable. Be sure to check in with friends and family often, you never know what someone is going through behind doors! The Black Community deserves the support as well as everyone else!

You know, February of every year, it is Black History Month, why not also make it a month where even if you think you’re ok, go get evaluated anyway, remember there is nothing wrong with that.

Need help? Need advice? Here’s some websites:

Crisis Text Line

Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Re Mind

Her Campus Contributor Account 
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com