This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Museums have played an important role in becoming the gatekeeper for untold stories through platforms of art, history and science. They are very important vehicles because they store, preserve and protect artifacts from our past while also  protecting our heritage and cultures from being lost to private collectors.

What role do museums play in mental health?

What many individuals subconsciously don’t realize is that not only do museums allow you to educate your mind about the past, they provide a calm and safe place for you to explore at your own free will. They offer a wide variety of artistic and historical artifacts that people can research and learn about while also providing people with written and visual content that validates the existence of life and past histories. There are certain museums that are developed so you can express yourself outloud with or without anyone hearing you or there’s a place where you can meditate alongside artifacts that can give you an aura of protection. Being able to take the time to visit the galleries in the museums also creates a sense of belonging. People come from all walks of life, so for some, visiting a museum allows them the chance to reconnect with the past and to feel a sense of home – away from home.

Museums can be VERY therapeutic for those who are dealing with anxiety and depression.  Museums naturally create a calming atmosphere that can be very soothing to those who are dealing with anxiety and depression. Museums allow individuals to actively observe what they are experiencing at the moment, which may or may not lead to a therapeutic breakthrough, if need be.

Visiting museums can also provide you a break from a monotonous lifestyle. Taking a walk around the museum allows the mind to feel at peace, the silence allows you to breathe easier, and clears your mind. Keep in mind that museums can be powerful tools in the matter of calming, healing and growth. Here are six great museums in the U.S. that are worth the visit:

1. Museum of Modern Art (New York, NY)

2. Meditation Museum (Silver Springs, Maryland)

3. African American Museum (Washington D.C.

4. Smithsonian Institution (group of museums) (Washington D.C.)

5. National Gallery of Art ( Washington D.C.)

6. Museum of Natural History (New York, NY)

Here are six more for those who would like to travel to view international museums:

1. The British Museum (London, England)

2. The Prado ( Madrid, Spain)

3. The Vatican Museums (Vatican City, Italy)

4. The Egyptian Museum (Cairo, Egypt)

5. The Louvre (Paris, France)

6. Rijksmuseum (Netherlands)

Jaelan Leonard

Hampton U '20

Jaelan Leonard is a junior journalism communications major, marketing minor at Hampton University (Hampton U' 20) . Jaelan is from Virginia Beach, Virginia and attends Hampton on an a full athletic track scholarship.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com