Making Women Marketable in the Business World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Being a woman in today’s society can be very difficult, especially in the marketplace. You would think after four years in school, three summers interning and 2,000 hours in the library you would automatically get a job, but it doesn’t work like that. You have to put yourself out there while also putting energy into marketing yourself.

Attitude Adjustment

First things first, begin by adjusting your attitude. Your best marketing tool is yourself, so this means presenting yourself the best way possible. Whether it’s taking an unpaid internship or participating as a volunteer, it may be a great opportunity to meet new people and learn new things. An unpaid internship could even turn into a full-time job!

Good Communication

Also, making sure you are understood by a potential employer is very important. Being clear is an essential skill everyone needs. When public speaking or interviewing, you have to make sure the question is answered first before talking about other topics. If a potential employer is forced to read between your lines, it’s pretty much over. Basic writing or public speaking will help you learn how to communicate appropriately.

Flexibility

Be flexible! This point cannot be stressed enough. Many brilliant, motivated graduates have certain expectations associated with their first job that limit their employment possibilities. Waiting for the “ideal job” may be a mistake. It is not smart to limit yourself if you are trying to be a marketable person. Indicating that you are an open-minded and flexible person will benefit you on your first job and long afterward.

Look the Part

Always dress and act like a winner! Many interviewers and recruiters instantly focus in on prospective candidates who dress the part; and this is only the beginning. Your clothing, grooming, posture and presentation are all extremely critical factors in determining who may be the best candidate for the job. Wearing a low cut blouse, super high heels and a mini skirt is not the appropriate thing to wear if you want a job or respect. If you don’t fit the image they’re looking for, it’s highly unlikely that you will get hired, no matter how impressive your resume may be. A neat, well-groomed appearance will not only build your self-confidence, but it may also increase your chances of impressing a prospective employer. And most importantly, always remember to smile.

Get a Mentor 

Along with networking comes something else that everyone should have: a strong mentor. Find someone who is very involved and successful in the field you would like to work in. By learning from and shadowing a mentor who has achieved excellence in your prospectve profession, you will more than likely recieve career guidance and support needed to achieve your goals. Connecting with an experienced professional can be very beneficial because they likely have connections with other influential professionals and businesses.

Remember your Power 

Lastly, don’t let the negative connotations of women in the workplace get you down. We are just as capable of doing what our male counterparts do and even better. Employers hire highly motivated people who are driven to succeed. They want to see that you want to make a difference on the job. If you dream big, everyone around you will know it. You will be more marketable as a potential employee by having a determined spirit and the personal drive to achieve and succeed.

Remember to have a positive attitude, be clear and flexible, act like a winner, find someone to look up to and DREAM BIG! The only way to succeed is to believe in yourself first!

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.