This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As we embark on our college journeys, we are bound to face many adversities. From failing relationships to failing classes, these are the motions of life, and we will inevitably stress about them. But as we are trying to build our resumes and ourselves, it’s important for us to take some time to make sure, not only our physical health, but our mental health is okay. Taking self-care days are super important to making sure you stay balanced and do not get too overwhelmed. Here’s some self-care tips I use in my daily life that keep me going.

1. Listen to your favorite music (and dance!!)

Those moments when you’re alone, and you can blast your music and dance like nobody’s watching are the most therapeutic little moments you get during your busy day. Music is a universal joybringer, and when you have that hour where you can let loose and be who you truly are and feel who you truly are, it brings a feeling of calmness and happiness. Blast your favorite music, sing along (Loudly), and dance. It is absolutely cathartic and sure to give you at least a few moments of peace.

1. Get cute, dress up, do your make-up

Obviously not everyone wears makeup but everyone has a look of theirs that makes them feel confident. Make sure to do that sometimes. Dress up for class, beat your face, wear your favorite shoes, look cute! When you look good, you feel good. And of course trying to be cute everyday is annoying, and I have no idea how some girls pull it off, but do not forget to have some days where you pop out. It’s fun, you get compliments, you take pictures, and it’s bound to lighten the load on your shoulders.  

1. Go outside

I hope this is obvious. And I do not just mean go outside for your classes. Go outside and breathe some fresh air. Admire the scenery, take pictures, sit and just think. Being confined to small, concrete rooms for too long is not healthy and taking walks just to get to another concrete room does not make it any better. The world around you is beautiful, and you should make sure to admire it. Just being outside gives you so many vitamins you need which could ultimately make you feel better physically and mentally.

1. Be by yourself sometimes

We love our friends, we really do, but sometimes you just have to be by yourself. Constantly having people around you can become overstimulating, and you deserve time to be in a quiet place by yourself where you can process your day. You need your friends for fun, comfort, bonding and good conversation. However, do not be afraid to take some time for yourself. Those little pockets of alone time will ultimately help you feel less overwhelmed.

1. Eat your favorite dishes

Above all else, we gotta eat. It keeps us going day-to-day. And when you find yourself overwhelmed, eating some of your favorite dishes are bound to be a pick-me-up. Of course it won’t turn the whole day around, but do not feel guilty about sitting down and devouring a favorite meal of yours. Especially if you do not eat it often. Eating is healthy, even if eating something unhealthy in moderation. So get that meal after a long, hard week and partner it with some netflix, and you will feel a lot better.

Her Campus Contributor Account 
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.