Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Her Campus Media

How to stay fit as an Athlete during Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

All that is going on in the world, it is very easy to lose a sense of yourself. This may include you gaining excessive weight from eating out of boredom, or even deciding to make a new desert every week. Although it may not feel like there is a way to stay fit with being quarantined, there are some things that you could still do from the convenience of your home. 

When trying to stay fit like an athlete, it is crucial to get as much cardio in as possible. Cardio is the gateway to losing weight, because it helps you lose fat and calories. Cardio is, but is not only limited to, getting a morning and/or evening walk, jumping rope, or riding a bike, and more. Cardio comes in various forms and all you need to do is find out what works out best for you. 

If you decide to get more cardio in while working out, make sure you always stretch before and after. Stretching helps release tension that one may have in their body, and stretching also helps prevent any injury or muscle pulling. Injuries and muscle strains are very common while working out because you could potentially be using muscles that have not been worked in a while. Stretching will allow you to feel relaxed after a successful workout.

In addition to incorporating cardio into your everyday routine, you also should drink water. I know it may sound cliche, but it really works. The recommended daily intake of water is half of your body weight in ounces. To fulfill this daily recommendation, you should purchase a water bottle that is at least 24 or 32 ounces. I say this is a pretty good standard size when trying to drink more water because a 24 or 32 ounce water bottle does not seem too big and it will not overwhelm you. You do not want to be overwhelmed, because you might not want to commit to drinking most if not all of your daily recommended intake of water. 

Drinking water and getting cardiovascular activity are not the only two things that will immensely benefit someone when trying to stay fit. However, if you ever need a start to your fitness journey, this is where you could possibly start. Fitness is not just about working out, fitness includes a balanced diet, mindset, and more.

Morgan Yeldell

Hampton U '24

Hello! My name is Morgan Yeldell and I am currently a freshman at Hampton University. I am a Criminal Justice major on the Pre-Law track. I am a very caring individual and I am looking forward to being apart of this organization. Upon graduation, I plan on becoming a lawyer.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!