How Mental and Spiritual Health Go Hand-In-Hand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Mental health is a topic that is seldom talked about in certain communities, especially the black community. It is just as important, if not more than physical health. If it is okay for us to be seen regularly by a doctor to check on our physical health, why is it looked down upon and not accepted to go see a therapist to check on our mental health? The double standard dealing with this separates those dealing with mental disorders, but there are ways to alleviate your own mental health.

Your spiritual and mental health have a way of going hand-in-hand with each other. Those who stay prayed or meditated up tend to have a clearer head throughout the day to stay focused and determined. An individual’s spiritual health can clear one’s mind and help take the stress and anxiety away that comes with mental disorders. Stress impacts physical health and mental health, and having strong spiritual health can reduce that. Those who have reported having major depressive episodes and mental illness were seen as more likely to have high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, heart disease and stroke, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. The thoughts and ideas that go through your mind affect not only your mental state but your physical state and your spiritual health. The idea of spirituality in mental health is socially accepted more than ever before.

It is important to not stress about the little things in life because it can take a toll on your health overall. Is it really important if that guy you like texts you back? Will it be the end of the world if you don’t get that girl’s attention? Small things can lead to a big amount of stress on your mind and body that can be avoided by keeping your spiritual health in line with your mental health. Remember with all life’s issues, this too shall pass!

Cashara Quinn

Hampton U '21

Cashara is a graduating senior Journalism major, Spanish minor from Chesapeake, Virginia. She will be a news producer at WFTX Fox 4 upon graduation. Her hobbies include playing the violin, dancing, and fashion. As Cashara continues to build her resume, she hopes to inspire young girls to work hard to achieve their goals and believes that anything is possible through Christ.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.