This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Midterms are around the corner! Part of maximizing your study time is finding an ideal place to hit the books. How well have you explored your Home By the Sea? Keep reading to discover some of our campus’ hidden gems and study spots.

1. Hampton University Museum

One of the most under-utilized and overlooked gems on campus is the Hampton University Museum. This home for fine arts and exquisite exhibits does not receive much foot traffic. This makes this space quiet, well-lit and has readily accessible electrical outlets. Ask to work in one of the upstairs conference rooms or find a seat on one of the benches in the exhibit and hit the books! You are sure to find the artistic setting engaging and inspiring as you study.

2. Emancipation Oak

Whether you’re an outdoor person or not, don’t miss your chance to check out Emancipation Oak. Once the site of the first southern reading of the Emancipation Proclamation, the history here is as rich as the soil. Although it is a campus landmark this tree is not frequently visited.   Bring a blanket or a chair and one of your textbooks and spend an afternoon reading there. 

3. Cafeteria 2nd floor

After finishing a meal, spend some productive study time in this area. The abundance of natural light pouring in through the windows will keep you awake and alert even through the most boring subjects. This location offers a variety of seating options, from stools, to high tables with charging stations, and small, circular tables with chairs. It’s the perfect location for an engaging study group. Even if you’re studying solo–this study spot gem allows you to focus while not feeling completely isolated. You’re likely to see a friend passing by! 

4. Waterfront

For those who don’t mind a bit of wind and the off-chance of bugs, the waterfront provides a unique study experience. Whether you decide to sit on one of the benches or bring a blanket, you will find comfort in this peaceful area of the campus. Bring a speaker or your headphones and enjoy some music in the background as you read through your notes. Kick off your shoes and review your readings. Just make sure that your devices are fully charged — there are no outlets outdoors! Spending time outside can reduce stress and anxiety. Remember to take a break from your studying at times to just look up and enjoy the view.

5. Dorm Study Room

While this may be an obvious option, most dorm study rooms are underutilized. Whether you live in White Hall, VC Suites, or just have an open area in your lobby, take advantage of these spaces designated for your academic success. Most of them provide a quiet space where you can study, keep your devices charged, and meet with others for a study group. 

If none of these gems are a fit for you, make an informed decision on where you are able to be the most productive. Lean into self-awareness. What are your habits? Do you function best at night…or in the morning? Can you focus with a little bit of sound or music in the background, or do you require complete silence? Once you’ve distinguished your ideal environment, you will know where to go to be the most effective. Remember to pace yourself, take breaks when necessary, and to reward yourself for all of your hard work.

Happy Studying!

Kenya Cummins

Hampton U '20

"I became an artist, and thank God I did, because we are the only profession that celebrates what it means to live a life." (Viola Davis) Hi! I'm a senior Strategic Communication Major, Cinema Studies Minor at Hampton University. My aspirations post-grad are to become a filmmaker, writer and world traveler.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!