Hampton Man Crush – Carlton Griffin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Did someone say Kofi? This week’s Hampton Man Crush is Carlton Griffin, he is a Junior Journalism Major/ Cinema Studies Minor from Atlanta, GA. We had the pleasure of sitting down with Carlton to find out where his passion for filmmaking comes from and what he looks for in a woman. You think he could be your Hampton Man? Stay tuned and continue reading!

HC: Describe your ideal date.

CG: My ideal date would be something romantic but also something simple, like visiting a museum or a botanical garden. Something where we could admire each other and also admire the environment we’re in. Honestly, we could go to Barnes & Noble and look for books together. If I’m really interested in you, we don’t even need to talk, just being us being in each other’s presence is good enough for me.

HC: Celebrity Crush?

CG: Zendaya, Lupita N’yongo, Issa Rae, Kilo Kish. I don’t know what it is, but I’ve always been attracted to the awkward girls who know they’re awkward but embrace it and make it work for them.

HC: Single, take Complicated?

CG: Big single.

HC: If you could pick a color that describes you what would it be and why?

CG: Blue. Blue is a very calming color and anyone that knows me knows that I’m a very calm person, so it describes me perfectly.

HC: FMK – Beyonce, Lauren London, Megan Good

CG:   F – Megan Good (Come on, it’s Megan Good)

M – Beyoncé (Just based off the fact that I’d be financially set for life)

K – Lauren London (I still can’t get over the fact that she lied to my mans Rashad about her life in ATL)

HC: Describe your ideal woman?

CG: My ideal woman is a woman who has her own style, strong-willed, driven & determined, has a smart mouth, can deal with my sarcasm by responding with her own, very intelligent, has great music taste, loves to eat, enjoys outings and adventures, someone I can spend all day with and not get bored.

HC: Do you think you can find a wife at Hampton?

CG: If we’re being honest, I’m pretty sure I’ve already met my wife here at Hampton. I just need her to open her eyes and see what’s in front of her.

HC: How do you feel about how Hampton University Handle sexual assault cases with more than half of the school’s population being woman?

CG: I feel like the administration at Hampton could really handle the sexual assault cases better. There should be no reason why there are dudes with multiple accusations against them are walking around campus like nothing even happened. But if administration won’t hold them accountable for their actions, then we as students, especially the guys, have to step in and hold them accountable for their actions. If you see something suspicious going on at a party or if you see a girl being harassed anywhere, intervene. We also have to stop hanging out with these guys that have these allegations against them.

HC: Who/what inspires your style?

CG: A few of my inspirations when it comes to style are Luka Sabbat, Lil Uzi Vert, Russell Westbrook (Occasionally. It’s either hit or miss with his fits), & Tyler, the Creator. I like to see people who express their individuality through their style. Also, I’m inspired by people I see every day on the street. If I’m out and I see someone with a nice fit on, I really will stop and ask them where they got it from.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about yourself?

CG: My favorite thing about myself is the fact that I really stay true to myself no matter what. There’s a lot of people who put on a façade just to impress people who don’t matter. If people don’t like you for who you truly are, that’s fine. It’s not the end of the world. Just be yourself.

HC: When did you start getting into film?

CG: I started getting into film senior year of high school. I was always interested in how movies were made and filmed so I researched into it and kinda fell in love with it. Switching my major to journalism kinda peaked my interest even more because there were so many people in Scripps who had the same interest with me and that I learned so much from.

HC: If you could have dinner with anyone in he film industry (male or female) who would it be?

CG: Donald Glover. He’s a kid from Dekalb County, just like me. I’ve been a huge fan of his since 9th grade. The fact that he went from writing for 30 Rock, to being on Community, to winning an Emmy for “Atlanta” and a Grammy for “Awaken, My Love!” is mind-blowing to me. I just would want to ask him how his life has changed since then and he remained focused with everything and all the projects he’s involved in going on at once.

HC: What is the creative process you go through when approaching a project?

CG: I ask myself, “What story would I wanna see?” I think that it’s imperative for young filmmakers, like myself, to tell stories only they can tell. If you try to reach out and tell a story that you have no expertise in or have never seen before, it’s not gonna be organic.

HC: Where do you see yourself within the next 5 years?

CG:  see myself either in film school or working in a newsroom, preferably back home, while also working on my own projects on the side.

HC: What are you plans for the summer?

CG: I’m still waiting to hear back from internships I applied for. So, I’m hoping something will come through for me. If not, I’ll find a summer job and just work on some projects.

HC: What projects can we expect to see next?

CG: There’s some projects for class and my internship group that we’re working on and I’m really excited about that. Personal project-wise: I’m planning to shoot 2 short films this summer and submit them to film festivals so I’m looking forward to that.   

HC: How do you go about finding people to be apart of your projects?

CG: Either I’ve seen their work before through projects or class assignments or other people I know have worked with them and have nothing but positive things to say about them.

HC:Who has been your support system?

CG: My parents and my closest friends. I don’t know where I would be without them. They’re the ones who keep me going.

HC: Who do you credit much of your success?

CG: My mother and my grandfather. If it wasn’t’t for them, I wouldn’t’t be the man I am today. They always told me to follow my dreams and unapologetically be myself.

Don’t forget to follow Carlton to keep up with his next upcoming projects or if you plan on shooting your shot don’t be shy lol 

IG: @slewie.griffin

Twitter: @slewie_griffin

Kierra Cole

Hampton U '19

22. Hampton U. Senior