bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

A guide to Journaling and Positive Affirmations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Journaling is a practice of mindfulness and self-discovery. Some studies say that journaling reduces feelings of anxiety and depression. It is a useful tool to express yourself and evaluate your feelings. Although, it is easy to pick up a pen or pencil and write there are more intricacies about starting a journal, some people journal because they have anxiety, some do it for personal growth or to just vent. It is important to find out your  why to start a journal. Start journal entries with a positive affirmation or some kind of motivational quote. Write about your day and reflect, or when you have certain feelings. Remember to highlight the positives. Pinterest is a good place to find journal writing prompts if you are just starting or stuck. It is also important to date each entry that you write because it can show how much you have grown. Try to journal everyday.

Affirmations are a practice to turn negative or intrusive thoughts about ourselves into positive ones. The first thing to do is choose negative thoughts about yourself and then write statements that are the opposite. For example, “nobody likes me” a positive affirmation would be “I am enough” or “I am surrounded by people I need in my life”. It is always important to for affirmations to have “I, my or I am”. It is also important to remember that affirmations need to be in the present tense. Last but not least, commit to reading/speaking them every. Repeating and saying them out loud manifests what you need. If you feel like you can’t or don’t know where to start making affirmations there are podcasts and Instagram accounts like Affirmationpod or Affirmation Addict.

Her Campus Contributor Account 
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.